The U.S. is Catching up in Internet Connection Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
And to think that here in Argentina we're getting charged 20 U$S for 1 Mb. There are faster speeds, they become increasingly unaffordable. Max I've seen is 20 Mbs for 110 U$S monthly.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]The-Darkening[/nom]And to think that here in Argentina we're getting charged 20 U$S for 1 MB. There are faster speeds, they become increasingly unaffordable. Max I've seen is 20 MBs for 110 U$S monthly.[/citation]

we might just pay more, i have a peak around 25Mb and after taxes and all internet aloen runs $80 that is peak though through comcast where they let you use your full connection for like 2 min to fool internet speed checks then drop me down to 3-4 Mb/s because they don't want to improve thier networks, they only want peopel to think they have

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
One of my friends is consistently getting 200 Kb/s on his broadband connection. It dips below 54 Kb/s during the evening or a storm.

[citation][nom]nebicanezer[/nom]Kansas City may be skewing those numbers a tad[/citation]
No surprise

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]wethrowpie[/nom]Darkening: You mean Megabit Mb, not MB Megabyte.[/citation]

Fixed, thanks! I will add that some companys doesn't even give you a full Mb. They give you 100 KB/s instead of 128 KB/s. People doesn't really know any better.

this is not so much because faster broadband is becoming available/affordable (though it is a little), but because phone companies are working extremely hard to get rid of their old copper networks which boots people from dial-up and DSL, and forces them to move to cable or fiber (or ridiculously priced cell phone plans).
Cincinnati Bell is hoping to be off copper in all high-density areas within the next 3-5 years. That is a lot of people every month being moved up (whether they can afford it or not) simply because the cheaper/slower internet is no longer available, and there are a ton of other phone companies following the same type of time-line.

I am all for progress, but I work with low income families directly affected by this, and for them it is a rather raw deal.

Wow! I should not complaint about 20Mb @ $29 for the first two years then $40 after that with Optimum.
I'm not that concerned about USA having the fastest speed in the planet but having reliable services everywhere. At least 5Mb available and accessible to each and every corner. That will be an accomplishment.

lanbaner

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]we might just pay more, i have a peak around 25Mb and after taxes and all internet aloen runs $80 that is peak though through comcast where they let you use your full connection for like 2 min to fool internet speed checks then drop me down to 3-4 Mb/s because they don't want to improve thier networks, they only want peopel to think they have[/citation]

When I went to college in the US I had comcast and even though their customer service was really bad I was getting constantly 15Mb/s which was their standard package although it wouldnt be hard to believe comcast doing such a thing as slowing your conection down. Now back in Argentina I am paying for 3Mb/s $36usd but I never receive more than 2.5Mb/s not to mention the constant disconnections.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]we might just pay more, i have a peak around 25Mb and after taxes and all internet aloen runs $80 that is peak though through comcast where they let you use your full connection for like 2 min to fool internet speed checks then drop me down to 3-4 Mb/s because they don't want to improve thier networks, they only want peopel to think they have[/citation]
Ouch that is expensive. In my country with that price tag I can get 100 mbps optical fiber connection an still have a few bucks to spare.

rnakrani

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I regularly get between 29Mbps and 33Mbps (down) and 1.8Mbps (up) here in North Carolina. ~$60/month. I'm hoping Google eventually moves in so I can get 1,000Mbps down and 1,000Mbps up for $70/month though.

Evan20x

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
At my home out in the boonies I am stuck with dial up :/ no dsl or cable down my road yet. Times when I'm able to use a friends comcast is just exhilarating with download speeds of atleast 3 MB/sec which is just lovely lol

My mother get's her DSL from AT&T the extreme package is like 6.0 Mbps, special price of $19.95 for a year or something like that. I've had my laptop over there and speeds are very consistent. Averaging 650 KB/sec give or take some. The max I've seen it hit was 730 KB/sec or so.

That's the thing I like about DSL it's always consistent and rarely slows down like cable when there is heavy usage in the neighborhood.

roflmaonow

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I have Cox and pay $35 per month. I signed up for their 18 Mbps plan, I have yet to see the speed go below 25 Mbps. On a good day I've seen it go up to 70 Mbps. I would say my avg connection speed since I signed up has been ain the 25-30 Mbps range. I guess I'm lucky to have a fast connection for a fair price.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
These must be advertised speeds verses actuals. I supposedly have a 1.5 mb connection, but I keep an old dial-up account because there are times where it's faster. :(

Don't forget there are still vast areas of this country that is still in the 56k dial up era if they even get that much. I have to cough up $52 a month for what is supposed to be a 2.5mb connection but only get around 300-500kb a sec but that is all I can get. The other options cost even more and two are slower grrr. This country needs to update it's infrastructure badly.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
AT&T U-verse 12 Mbps costs $48/mon, 6 Mbps costs $43/mon. Which is expensive, but cheaper than those plans from Cox.

slvjpn

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
20 US $/15 Euros for:
- 100 mbps optical fiber no traffic limit
- 7.2 mbps 3G modem/SIM card 5 gigs limit after that 128 kbps.."no" traffic limit as well
- Cable TV with premium channels
- fixed and mobile phone with decent included minutes
guess the country ;)) ....you are all right, offcourse it's Romania.

Wow lucky all of you guys. My speed is 1.5Mb for 80$ a month with a 10GB/month limit. Yes its horrible. Yes I have to deal with it. No I don't want to move. Especially being one of the people "in the know" about computers, I find it painful to deal with these speeds sometimes, and the ping times? Horrible. 700MS average. Google - if your reading this please send some 1Gb connections this way.

www.qiniq.com

G

Here in Japan we have Hikari Fiber for about $40 - $ 50 a month. For that we get high speeds. Check out grantbarker dot com/my-computer.html for the figures. Peace.

[citation][nom]oj88[/nom]AT&T U-verse 12 Mbps costs $48/mon, 6 Mbps costs $43/mon. Which is expensive, but cheaper than those plans from Cox.[/citation]
Here, in the third world we're being charged for 2Mb/s down & 512Kb up with $36.6/m and those speeds are a pain on the ass for downloading large files. You people live in heaven lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.