[SOLVED] The ULTIMATE Argb fan question...

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
First of all, sorry for the long explanation.

I recently posted a question about the installation of Argb fans, but unfortunately the replies I received, though very helpful, only fueled my desire for more answers. So, with that in mind, I hope I can finally explain my problem and get the answers I need from all of you well educated kind technical people out there.

As I explained in my original post, I have not built a pc in several years. I am mostly savvy about pc builds but, I am completely at a loss when it comes to Argb fans, Argb mobo headers and powered hubs. My problem is this~ I have an Asus Strix B550-f motherboard which, as I am sure you are all aware, only has one Argb header on it. I plan on installing six Argb fans , 4 Phantex Argb pwm case fans and 2 Argb fans than came with the MSI 480-R cooler I purchased for the build ( I’m not sure if it is pertinent to mention here, but the case all of this is being installed in is a Phantex P-500a Eclipse)

Now, I read that using a Sata powered hub like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Case-...711&sprefix=arctic+powered+hub,aps,203&sr=8-3

would relieve the power restrictions of the motherboard header, which has an unpowered max limit of 3 Argb fans. ( I chatted with an Asus rep. online who told me this) Will this kind of powered hub solve my 3 limit problem allowing me to use my 6 fans without blowing my motherboard into next week?

In regard to these last two questions, I would greatly appreciate it if you could please iron out my confusion. I am getting conflicting answers as to whether using this hub only allows the fans to all run at 100 % speed. Can I somehow control the fan rpm’s through software, once the pc is all up and running?

And finally, on my previous pc builds, many moons ago. I would connect old style fans through the motherboard chassis fan headers to power the fans themselves. Argb headers on my intended Asus Strix B550-f motherboard only control the fan light show, right? And to power the fans, being that I only have 3 chassis fan power headers on the motherboard, I would have to double up through the use of chassis fan power header splitter cables to allow all six of my fans to operate?

Please excuse my inexperience to this, but if I could find the answers elsewhere without getting 150 conflicting replies, I would be able to straighten out this situation once and for all.

I thank you all in advance with your help in regards to this matter.

Solution

I recently posted a question about the installation of Argb fans, but unfortunately the replies I received, though very helpful, only fueled my desire for more answers. So, with that in mind, I hope I can finally explain my problem and get the answers I need from all of you well educated kind technical people out there.

As I explained in my original post, I have not built a pc in several years. I am mostly savvy about pc builds but, I am completely at a loss when it comes to Argb fans, Argb mobo headers and powered hubs. My problem is this~ I have an Asus Strix B550-f motherboard which, as I am sure you are all aware, only has one Argb header on it. I plan on installing six Argb...

As I explained in my original post, I have not built a pc in several years. I am mostly savvy about pc builds but, I am completely at a loss when it comes to Argb fans, Argb mobo headers and powered hubs. My problem is this~ I have an Asus Strix B550-f motherboard which, as I am sure you are all aware, only has one Argb header on it. I plan on installing six Argb fans , 4 Phantex Argb pwm case fans and 2 Argb fans than came with the MSI 480-R cooler I purchased for the build ( I’m not sure if it is pertinent to mention here, but the case all of this is being installed in is a Phantex P-500a Eclipse)

Now, I read that using a Sata powered hub like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Case-Fan-Hub-Distributor/dp/B0887VG14J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1D3JQP3QFB68Z&keywords=arctic+powered+hub&qid=1649607711&sprefix=arctic+powered+hub,aps,203&sr=8-3

would relieve the power restrictions of the motherboard header, which has an unpowered max limit of 3 Argb fans. ( I chatted with an Asus rep. online who told me this) Will this kind of powered hub solve my 3 limit problem allowing me to use my 6 fans without blowing my motherboard into next week?

In regard to these last two questions, I would greatly appreciate it if you could please iron out my confusion. I am getting conflicting answers as to whether using this hub only allows the fans to all run at 100 % speed. Can I somehow control the fan rpm’s through software, once the pc is all up and running?

And finally, on my previous pc builds, many moons ago. I would connect old style fans through the motherboard chassis fan headers to power the fans themselves. Argb headers on my intended Asus Strix B550-f motherboard only control the fan light show, right? And to power the fans, being that I only have 3 chassis fan power headers on the motherboard, I would have to double up through the use of chassis fan power header splitter cables to allow all six of my fans to operate?

Please excuse my inexperience to this, but if I could find the answers elsewhere without getting 150 conflicting replies, I would be able to straighten out this situation once and for all.

I thank you all in advance with your help in regards to this matter.
Yes, powered (by Molex or SATA) adapters allow for more LEDs to be connected, far more than from MB headers.
As for fan motors, normal and most usual amperage for MB headers are 1A per header. Fans are usually marked how much power they need so you can easily calculate how many fans you can use per header. That's usually up to 3 fans using splitter. Or if you want all 6 on one header, you can get powered (by Molex or SATA) hub, PWM or 3pin depending on header and fans.

Solution

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
Thank you so much Count Mike! I will go and check the ampage of each of the fans. I plan on using all three chassis fan headers that I have available on this particular motherboard. Splitting two fans per header which I am sure is well within bounds.

May I please ask one more thing... In regards to fan speed, will they only run at 100% or can I control the speed of them somehow?

Thank you so much again for your reply.

Your motherboard manual states that the fan headers on it are PWM. You write above that you have "4 Phantex Argb pwm case fans" and "2 Argb fans than came with the MSI 480-R". You don't mention if the latter are PWM fans.
I cannot locate any MSI 480-R cooler, so I cannot tell you if the fans to it are PWM, but perhaps you can look at them yourself and see. PWM fans have 4 pins on the connectors.

If they all are PWM and if the splitters you buy are PWM, you can control the fan speeds from your BIOS as PWM fans. If not, you can control them from your BIOS as DC fans.

Lots of info about fans and cooling can be found in the Cooling forum.