the ultimate movie editing rig

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I suggest looking at older threads on mid range gamming systems, they idealy go hand in hand with a media pc, just transfer the coast of the video card to more ram and a large sataII raid.

Anyway toss us bone, where do intend to buy in the UK? Try building a rig online first of what you think works, post it, and just let the suggestions roll in.

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
I'll assume that the parts can be had in the UK for a similar price as the US and that 1 GBP = 1.75 USD. Ergo, I'll work with a budget of $1,750 USD.

Altlon X2 4400+ (or Opty 175 which is equalivent)
2 MB Cache (1 MB+1MB)
THG CPU tests show that video editing makes great use of dual core processors. You can go lower end dual core but the 4400+ and the Opty 175 are easily OC'ed to achieve 4800+ speeds without any effort. I suggest the 4400+ unless you are a serious OC'er because it is less expensive ($464 v. $513).

X1900 - while I am a nVidia guy, I can't contest that the X1900 is the best price/performance graphics card out there these days for the high end. Costs about $580.

RAM - 2 GB OCZ Plat. $220. Some of the best memory out there today (no disrespect to Cosair)

Currently at $1264 for the above parts.

2 Lite-on DVD recordable drives. If doing video editing, you'll want two DVD drives. ~100

MB - Couple of options. You can go with the Asus A8R MVP or the Abit AT8 ATX - both are nice boards from good mfgs. I'd suggest DFI, but their MB uses fans, instead of passive cooling, which I have been gravitating away from. ~120

That's $1484

Seagate SATA 250 GB HD - Great dives. ~100. Raid would be nice but I think a second would put you over budget.

That's $1584 which leaves ~200 for a case and PSU.

I am not including keyboard, mouse, moniter as a lot of people are just ask about the base computer. Obviously, if you don't have these, the above budget is useless.

Optional - soundcard. Prices vary widely.

This system would handle any video editing you threw at it with style.

TRENDING THREADS