Question the use of intel optane memory ?

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
so I am thinking about buying this hp spectre x360 laptop which has a 512 gb ssd config with a 32gb intel optane memory.. now I do know that intel optane speeds up processes and stuff like that but I heard of it being used with hdds since they are kinda slow ? aren't ssds fast enough on their own .. I don't understand.. what does optane memory actually do ?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I see
hmmm wonder why is intel selling a 512gb ssd with 32 gb of optane memory then
Marketing.

In the consumer space, Optane is a solution looking for a problem.
It does have uses in a database situation. Properly configured, the stored procedures can live on the fast Optane, for much faster operation.

For a consumer? Just use a regular SSD, SATA or NVMe.

Reactions: lexyrx07

Delta Mike

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
"Intel's Optane Memory is used to cache or tier storage to give it SSD-like performance. "
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3322499/why-your-pc-shows-ram-and-optane-memory-as-total-memory.html

This memory won´t make a difference in performance while a SSD is installed. If only an HDD would be there, it could boost the performance.

In some situations it might help with a SATA SSD to get a better response time, but that´s marginal.
"Intel's Optane Memory is used to cache or tier storage to give it SSD-like performance. "
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3322499/why-your-pc-shows-ram-and-optane-memory-as-total-memory.html

This memory won´t make a difference in performance while a SSD is installed. If only an HDD would be there, it could boost the performance.

In some situations it might help with a SATA SSD to get a better response time, but that´s marginal.

I am thinking of buying ASUS ZenBook UX325JA 13.3" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 512 GB SSD and 32GB Optane. I am not a developer, just a business user in healthcare but some of my applications take forever to load from my current HDD. Is the Optane in the ZenBook redundant? I know sometimes products are launched with pretty useless "frills"

32GB Optane memory is one storage device, so if it gets faulty or corrupted, data will be gone. Like normal storage devices.
But Optane memory is not designed to store data, it´s a cache which saves everyday used applications to it to start it faster next time.