Build Advice The wackiest time I've had building a computer

dtseery

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
So it's probably been about 4 years since my last time posting here, I've built/assembled probably 15-50 machines in these years. I figured this would be a good time to come back and explain the crazy situation I am in with a build.

For some backstory, on my main machine, I recently upgraded my intel 5960x & ASRock x99 extreme4 to an i5-12600k & ASUS Prime Z690M-Plus D4 about 2 weeks ago. It may be pertinent to note - In my main machine, I have always had a Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold power supply that has run my machine fine. It also may be pertinent to note that I got both my intel 5960x & ASRock x99 extreme4 used, but they have run me well for 5~ years.

Now, I'm upgrading a much older system that used to have an Athlon x4 860k & Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H with the intel 5960x & ASRock x99 extreme4. Of course, this comes with me buying a new set of ram. I've used my original 32gbs (8GB x 4) that I had with my 5960x combo for a while in my 12600k combo, now the Prime z690M only has 4 RAM slots so I decide to upgrade it by buying 16GB x 2 and using one set of the 8GB x 2 for the 5960x combo.

Now yesterday, I get the new ram in and upgrade my main system. I turn it on and everything works fine with the 48GB.
Now I go to upgrade the x4 860k system and everything goes normal in the combo replacement. 3 things to note before I talk about the main issue are:
I initially tried to run the main system on the 500W unrated power supply. The PC only has a GT 430. The pc has 2 HDD drives, a boot SSD, and a Disk Drive.

Then I turn it on with everything assembled. I go into the bios and set it to boot from the SSD. Everything in the bios looks fine and it looks to be running completely normally.

On loading windows, it stops mid-loading screen, with the spinning dots freezing.

I then restart the machine and it loads into "Preparing automatic repair" I let it sit for 1-2 hours and check up on it again with it still being on that screen so I reload.

I assume that the power supply is not having the capabilities to run the machine and that it only is realizing this when windows is being booted.

No big deal.

The Power supply is only 500W unrated and is probably about 14 years old.

So, I buy a Thermaltake SMART 600W 80+ White Power supply to replace it.

I assume the system would run with this due to the fact that the only thing that taps too much power is the cpu+motherboard.

Now, I get the Power Supply today. I install it into the machine. I turn it on again and have the same issue with it freezing on a windows loading screen with the 3 dots.
Now, I assume that the copy of windows is simply stuck in a boot loop and so I insert a USB Windows 10 repair drive.

That freezes on loading as well.

I tried a few different things such as reseating RAM in different slots because the x99 Extreme4 has 8 slots. Which only slightly changed the results by having only 1 8GB stick in the 6th slot which allowed me to get the initial repair screen to choose your keyboard type for the repair USB. But it freezes as soon as I get to that screen.

I tried Clearing the CMOS in case I had made previous changes to the bios that didn't agree with the system.

I've unplugged and replugged just about every part of the pc to make sure all the connections are together.

I restarted the PC probably about 10-15 times in doing all this. The only two other screens that occured besides the freeze on windows load were BSOD errors "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and "irql_not_less_or_equal"

From here I'm at a bit of a loss, the last thing I have been thinking it may be is something to do with the fact that in the past I used a 240mm AIO either a Corsair h100i gtx or corsair h100i rgb pro xt. However I would generally run each of these with a sizeable overclock from the stock 5960x 3ghz to around 4.6-4ghz.
Now for this system I had made sure that I had reset the overclock before starting the system,but the cooler I am using for the system is a be quiet! Shadow Rock 3.
It is also to my confusion that the cpu temps in the bios have said 30c~ so I am really doubtful that, that is the problem.

I think it still may be the power supply and am considering returning the Thermaltake SMART 600W 80+ White Power supply and getting a better one as it had the same results as the 500w unrated power supply.

The biggest thing I am worried about is that the problem is the CPU or the motherboard. They are decently old, but it would be quite problematic to have to replace the combo or either.

Any suggestions or tips? anything else you think I could try to get the system to work before I return the PSU?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
To be fair, you replaced an expensive paperweight with another expensive paperweight, only difference is that they are 14 years apart. Jokes aside, we're going to need a little more information from your end.

Can you please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

USB Windows 10 repair drive

Did you recreate your bootable USB installer to rule out a corrupt installer? Also, your thread seems a little vague, did you simply migrate the OS drive from the other platform or did you just upgrade the ram? If the latter, then which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard?

Reactions: drivinfast247

dtseery

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
To be fair, you replaced an expensive paperweight with another expensive paperweight, only difference is that they are 14 years apart. Jokes aside, we're going to need a little more information from your end.

Can you please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

USB Windows 10 repair drive
Did you recreate your bootable USB installer to rule out a corrupt installer? Also, your thread seems a little vague, did you simply migrate the OS drive from the other platform or did you just upgrade the ram? If the latter, then which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard?

So I started with:

CPU: Athlon X4 860k
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H
Ram: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
SSD/HDD: Avexir E100 120GB, Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM
GPU: PNY Geforce GT 430
PSU: LS Ultra 500W Power Supply (ULT-LS5000P)
Chassis: Rosewill Stryker M-ATX Tower
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24F1ST
Monitor: Insignia 19" 720p LED TV

and changed it to:

CPU: i7-5960x
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4
Ram: Avexir Core Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
PSU: LS Ultra 500W Power Supply (ULT-LS5000P)

But then had the problem in which when the pc tried to load the copy of Windows found on the Avexir E100 120GB it would get stuck on the loading screen.
Same issue with a bootable USB drive.
I assumed that the PSU was the problem so I upgraded the PSU to:

CPU: i7-5960x
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4
Ram: Avexir Core Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V 80 Plus Certified Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0600NPCWUS-W

but I had the same issue with the situation occurring as described in the original post.

To answer your further questions -
I Indeed tried different bootable USB's. I may try using a disk.
The OS was installed on the Avexir E100 120GB for the system and yes it was the same when I upgraded the system.
I had to change the CPU+Motherboard+RAM altogether. I have tried nearly every configuration of RAM on the slots in the X99 motherboard.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS