The watchman swings her broadsword

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

"The watchman swings her broadsword. The watchman hits!"

Once I got this message and thought it was a bug. Can a watchman
be a woman? Wouldn't that be called a watchwoman?

Dictionary says a watchman is "1. One set to watch; a person who
keeps guard; a guard; a sentinel. [1913 Webster]", and I do know
that a first-year *female* college student is still called a
"freshman". So it could be right then...

So, is it OK that a watchman be female? Or is that a little bug?

--
Manuel.

If a femail watchman dies does she just leave a generic watchmans
corpse or does she leave a differently named corpse. What I am trying
to ask is can you differentiate between the corpse of a watchman and a
female watchman?

Lichen Fodder wrote:
> If a femail watchman dies does she just leave a generic watchmans
> corpse or does she leave a differently named corpse. What I am trying
> to ask is can you differentiate between the corpse of a watchman and
> female watchman?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with where this conversation seems to be
headed =-p

;-)

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> Manuel wrote:
>
> > So, is it OK that a watchman be female? Or is that a little bug?
>
> Half of them are. It would be silly to call the female ones
"watchwomen";
> it's their job title.

English is not my first language, so I needed to ask. Thanks
for the clarification.

>Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

>The watchperson swings his or her broadsword!
>The watchperson hits!

UGH.

Manuel wrote:

> So, is it OK that a watchman be female? Or is that a little bug?

Half of them are. It would be silly to call the female ones "watchwomen";
it's their job title.

Raisse, killed by a watchman, while helpless

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> Manuel wrote:
>> So, is it OK that a watchman be female? Or is that a little bug?
>
> Half of them are. It would be silly to call the female ones "watchwomen";
> it's their job title.

The watchperson swings his or her broadsword!
The watchperson hits!

-Arthur,
PC gamer

> The watchperson swings his or her broadsword!
> The watchperson hits!
>
> -Arthur,
> PC gamer

The watchman or watchwomen swings his or her broadsword!
The watchman or watchwomen hits!

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:35:01 -0400 (EDT), Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
>>
>> Manuel wrote:
>>> So, is it OK that a watchman be female? Or is that a little bug?
>>
>> Half of them are. It would be silly to call the female ones "watchwomen";
>> it's their job title.
>
> The watchperson swings his or her broadsword!
> The watchperson hits!
>
> -Arthur,
> PC gamer

The broadsword is swung by the watchperson!

Sketchy

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003

>> The watchperson swings his or her broadsword!
>> The watchperson hits!
> The watchman or watchwomen swings his or her broadsword!
> The watchman or watchwomen hits!

The watchman throws down her sword and burns it.
The watchman cries "You Chauvinistic pigs!"

GSGold wrote:

>> The watchperson swings his or her broadsword!
>> The watchperson hits!
>>
>> -Arthur,
>> PC gamer
>
> The watchman or watchwomen swings his or her broadsword!
> The watchman or watchwomen hits!

The watchpeople swing their broadswords!

Raisse, killed by a watchperson

Quoting Arthur J. O'Dwyer <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu>:
>The watchperson swings his or her broadsword!

How dare you use a derogatory term like "broad"sword. Please call it a
"wombynsword".
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Second Oneiros, April.