How To The way I fixed my bad GPU Performance

Feb 5, 2019
At the start of this year, I posted a thread about a sudden bad performance that struck my GTX 1050 out of nowhere. Games such as COD: World at War, which I would not expect less than 90 fps, were running at unbelievable 27 fps! Since some old games that use Directx9 were running bad, and with low fps at CPU intensive points, my processor (FX-4300) caught my attention first hand. After months suspecting of the CPU, then of the Hard Drive (which is indeed in bad conditions) and finally but shortly at the RAM, I finally figured out an unusual fix for my fps: the GPU connector was dirty!

Before cleaning it up, I ran some tests on PerformanceTest to check if my components were ok and DX9 scored 14 (which is really, really bad) and DX12 scored 4, although other GTX 1050s were reported as scoring this low, this is nowhere near good. I just wiped the connector of the GPU with my shirt and voilà! DX9 scored 51 (which is not perfect, but way better) and DX12 scored 13 which, let's face it, it's way better. Today I woke up and tried to get it a bit cleaner just to make sure this was the fix (I installed all the vcredist that I could yesterday, so this could've been the fix, I was just trying to be sure about what was the thing about getting more fps). I scrubbed an eraser on it, wiped a bit with my shirt and then my fps increased again! DX9 scored 30 points higher and DX12 didn't change much.

Even though this was my fix, I've also read about RAM Memory Clock being a problem to some, so be sure to check it out if you have GPU problems as I did.

My pc specs:

CPU: FX-4300 4Ghz (Overclocked but didn't change much, I'm considering getting it back to 3.80Ghz)
GPU: GTX 1050 2GB EVGA
MOBO: ASROCK N68-s3 FX
RAM: 2x4GB (1600Mhz + 1333 Mhz) (I know, it's dumb to have different RAM speeds, but I didn't know when buying)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS