The Week In CPUs And Storage: AMD Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Good to hear that AMD is doing better, competition is a good thing. Are Haswell owners just screwed, or is this something that can be fixed with a firmware or microcode update?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It's too bad AMD didn't name one of their GPU architectures Tesla. I am sure that was a deciding factor in going with nVidia. Both companies can perform exactly the same given this is a platform specific hardware piece where the buyer is developing the platform.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Of course it can be fixed. What I want to know is how the fix might impact performance!

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

The majority of their losses were due to charges associated with the restructured GloFlo agreement ($340 million). The reason I consider them to be on the rise are the numerous strategic maneuverings that will have long-term payouts, such as the licencing agreement.

Thank you for the concise explanation.

SR TEE

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Makes me thankful I never got a Haswell chip, I got a Skylake and I'm pretty happy with it mostly because of the Z170 chip set I use with it.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
They found it in Haswell, but they also said it's probably a much more common situation. There's no reason to think they DON'T have it in Skylake and Kaby Lake, or at least that it's probably there; they may simply not have been tested yet. Note how long it took to dig out this issue!

Also..."will it be fixed?" In the existing processors? I doubt it. This feels like it's too primitive, too low-level of an issue. The BTB itself may need to be redesigned to create sandboxing.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
i am running a haswell i3 set up in my stepsons budget gamer websurfer no issues i found leave as much as the protection built into the bios just run a decent OS all i did was run a fresh copy of win 10Pro 64bit & leave all of the built in security of 10 have no issues & running 10 on all my setups no issues most secure to use with haswell as going to build another because they are nice chipset as good or better for straight power without all the crap built into skylake give it 6months before the have a skylake being hacked coz of this issue. Tho on the AMD chips if they are affordable run as good as the Intel have hyperthreading as they need it to get on an even footing to the market. If AMD can prove to make a reliable new gen chipset that preforms & handles daily needs & be left going contiously be worked in gaming & be reliable where Intel have but if AMD can give some decent omp for the $ & reliable i want to see a Quad core with hyperthreading built in to a budget chip to go against Intel from all low level budget Intel processor range upto the i5 for a beter price & a guarantee its going be reliable AMD would stun the market & be a win win for everyone & gain some ground back i be keen to try the new AMD when they come out i been using Intel running all Intels Nvidia video cards but you pay the price with Intel but some competition for the gaming daily user business hope AMD come threw be interested to try

clifftam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Until the new AMD's Zen chip has proven itself, I won't be so optimistic as AMD coming back in the CPU war against Intel. I am not a AMD hater and the latest AMD's earnings still show that they are losing money. I do hope they do come back and makes the competition against intel all the stronger. That will benefit us, the consumers, the most.

G

So can Intel be charged with delaying payment to stifle competition and pay AMD double? It's been over six years!! This is unacceptable and Intel should be severely punished both financially and maybe take away some patents even!

They are holding critical R&D from their competition and they get away with it like it's no big deal. To hell with Intel, they are a non-competitive company whose only winning because they have illegal contracts with major manufacturers like Dell, and they got more profitable in the past because of it.

This has been going on for way too long and it makes me sad that I bought a haswell CPU two years ago. I'm going to sell both my motherboard and CPU if anybody wants those things used, hopefully that will go over well. I'm going to swap all my future computers to ALL AMD for as long as Intel is unfair to other competing companies.

Lkaos

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014
So..."AMD shouldn't expect to see the $1.6 billion that Intel owes to it from the 2009 (yeah, that long) EU anti-trust case any time soon, as the EU backed Intel's appeal"...Does this answer your question?
It always baffles me the Intel hate by AMD fans, supporting a company that some years ago didnt add Thermal protection (for saving a $)on their CPUs, causing them to overheat and catch fire, more doing so knowingly and not warning buyers to it...
So, since then i could care less if AMD loses money and goes in the red...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS