The Week In Storage: 15 TB SSD For Only $10K, Samsung Rains On WD's Parade, Micron's Poison Pill

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

I couldn't possibly agree more. NAND is changing the game, so what Seagate does about its lack of a fab is going to be interesting.

I think the biggest sleeper is China, though. They are making a huge push into semiconductors across all segments, including CPU and DRAM, and it is partially funded by the government. It is also part of a larger plan that is totally outlined by the government, so we might see some really anti-competitive activity very soon.

slashdot

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Where are all the consumer NVME SSD? Where is Phison E7? Who cares about enterprisy storage m.2 SSD, can't buy them?

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, it seems that a 2TB M.2 for us regular guys is a bit off in the future, but it is important that Seagate was able to do it, and with regular 2D NAND, no less, because it shows that it is coming. Bleeding-edge tech *usually* starts in the enterprise then works its way down to us.

As to the E7, well. No idea when that will come to market, but I expect details to emerge at the flash memory summit in a few weeks.

Yup. We have this plus we have 3DXpoint and other new technologies that will cause a shift in the storage world.

Hopefully we will see TBs worth of SSDs at much more affordable prices soon.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Anyone else nervous about a Chinese state controlled-company owning a significant portion of NAND production when they currently control a large chunk of the raw material market as well?

There is the firmware issue as well but that's a whole other story.

Status
Not open for further replies.