The Windows 10 Creators Update Is Now Available To Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan

No, this is just the regular update to an existing Win 10 system.

bnrusso

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
This update takes several hours once it starts. If you reboot a business computer and start that process you probably will have to go home for the day. Then when you finally can login updates start all over and put lots of games and other unwanted garbage on you system. You also lose the control panel under the right click of the windows icon. I think it's worse now than windows 8 and time to switch 35 business computers to Linux.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Been using MS since MS-Dos days. I got CU for my home computers and have had to deal with what it keeps breaking at home. With the 30+ computers I manage at my job my opinion of Windows continues to sink. Every time an update comes out I can practically hold my breath until a user calls because a printer driver or something has stopped working. To me its become a tall steaming pile of ----. I know the rhetoric of it has increased security and how the dev's are given months notice of how their drivers will need to be updated but that doesn't help the average user or companies who're losing thousands trying to keep this mess running. I've also witnessed how Windows doesn't always grab a newer driver from the manufacturer even when its passed certification. From Intel bluetooth drivers to HP there are some basic things it likes to break. Not even getting into what I'm still dealing with NV and 4k HDR.

If all you do is email and youtube(some have even had issues with that) then CU could be good for you. Throw in anything else and sooner or later it will make something worse.

I'm also questioning whether MS has become a stakeholder in ISP's lately. I mean, has anyone been paying attention to the 3-6GB per mo. they're throwing at us. Multiply that times the amount of 10 users and I'm sure the global bandwidth usage is staggering.

You guys are assuming that CU actually downloads and installs correctly. My home PC has been failing to install this update for a couple of months now. Most of the threads on this issue have said the best solution for borked updates is to do a windows reset. Which is the solution for most windows 10 problems. I feel like Microsoft is just not able to test their updates on Win10 like they were with previous generations. This is further evidenced by their expansion of the bug bounty program.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

I totally agree. That's I keep posting in any 10 update related thread that they just need to slow down with features and just fix what they have.

G

If you are on Windows 7, do not install it, friendly advice because you are not gaining anything with Windows 10 especially if you have business. If you are on Win10 1511, again do not install it because Fall Creators Update is out soon. If you have general problems with Windows 10 and you don't care about UWP go back to Windows 7. From what i see Windows 10 is limping and MS is beating dead horse with it.

MNPolarbear

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
1) This is an update strictly for people who already are running Windows 10.
2) Windows 7 users cannot use this as an upgrade point. Windows 10 must be purchased and installed before the Windows 10 CU can be installed.
3) I really don't have any issues with Windows 10 other than post installation of the CU that I've been dealing with a sleep state issue related to my display where it doesn't wake up properly which results in unwanted screen flicker on my 4k display. My only option is to quick change screen resolutions to something else and back again which appears to stop the screen flicker.
4) From a general user perspective I see nothing wrong with Windows 10. I think power users tend to run into more issues than the general consumer just due to the nature of what we do whether it's the hardware or advanced features/software we use....etc.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Btw, this update disables your start menu if you trying removing Cortana (full removal, by deleting the contents of the folder), as a punitive measure. It checks if Cortana is working at startup, so if you removed Cortana you will notice that your start menu doesn't work upon restarting.

WINE can't get perfect soon enough it seems; Microsoft can go screw themselves.

Some other dude

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
It is unfinished and very buggy. It will not let me defer it and keeps asking for a restart. The highest annoyances are: unable to use any network adapters and blue screen of death with a frequency ala windows ME.

I read this thread and It sound almost as bad as an amd/intel thread.
I have 9 machines in my home an office from Q8300 Dual core to I7-4790K gaming boxes, all upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and none have any issues.

Of course Cortana stripped from win10 causes issues, Cortana and search and indexing are all one thing now. so basically you removed all three.
if you don't want Cortana to run and bother you, or fear telemetry etc, just run an application design to disable functions and not "cut out what you don't like" like a butcher instead of being a surgeon... run O&O Shut Up 10 and adjust windows to fix your needs without destroying the O/S
deleting components of an OS is like removing a hose in your car engine without checking if it may be used for cooling it first.. yeah your messing with it. duh.

As for the start menu, just download and install Classic Shell and return your Windows 7 or 8 menus the way they were and quit whining about it. this is not a new fact .. geez

Status
Not open for further replies.