The Windows 10 October 2018 Update Has Another File Bug

philipemaciel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
MS should prioritize bug squashing instead of introducing "features" most people do not use or actively dislike ("Cortana now does this, Cortana now does that")

Tanyac

Reputable

Agreed. There are problems that have existed since the initial release of Windows 10, such as W10 not waiking from sleep properly and crashing explorer, many unresolved BSODs and so on. All this bloatware on top is utter garbage, and the first thing I remove or disable. I just want a stable core OS.

The Insider program is a failed experiment. With all due respect to the members, as a programmer myself, testing is not as simple as just install and run. Many of the insiders are in it for the early access and are not experienced testers.

These types of issues we are seeing with Windows 10 are going to continue to multiply and have more devastating effects on consumer systems. Microsoft needs to wake up. If you destroy your customer base as part of your effort to save money by firing QA groups, you are still going to lose more income that you might have spent. They've simply lost the plot.

stdragon

Admirable

Agreed! There ought to be a "tick tock" to their development cycle. Cleanup bugs and optimize, then focus on features on the next round. Lather, rinse, repeat.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I recommend to always use 3rd party (e.g. 7z, WinZip, IZarc, etc.) utility for ZIP extraction.

No one should be using Windows 'Extract All' for mission critical zip work on folders with a large number of files, since it still suffers from one of the same bugs that was in Windows XP when Extract was first introduced. Note that the creation of ZIP files is unaffected by this issue.

Steps to recreate issue in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10:
1. Place 65535 long-filename files in a single folder.
2. Right-click on folder and select 'Send to'/'Compressed zipped folder'.
3. Rename zip once compression is completed.
4. Right-click on renamed zip and select 'Extract All' (not visible if you already have a 3rd party utility installed, so must revert default handler to Windows).
5. Once extraction has completed, confirm that the number of extracted files does not match.
6. Extract same zip using a 3rd party utility to confirm that it works as expected.
7. Repeat process with 49152 files to confirm that it works as expected, regardless of whether 3rd party utility is used, or not.

I realize that very few people work with that many files in a ZIP, but I do, and quite routinely.

stdragon

Admirable
7-Zip is the best, but a co-worker got bit by some extraction bug in the program. He needed to update the firmware to an Intel 10gig NIC to resolve a specific problem. Upon extracting the BIN file, it failed with a CRC error. Ultimately it was his fault for ignoring the dialog box, but he proceeded to flash the corrupted firmware and 'bricked' the card. Extracting with Explorer yielded a different MD5 hash which in fact was correct.

All I'm saying is be careful!

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

I was unaware 7zip had any extract issues, but it is my secondary utility behind IZarc (which I worked with the author reporting some bugs he quashed, and since v4.2 it is AdWare free again).

IMHO, CRC is the most valuable feature of an archive used to transport data... has saved countless hours of trouble-shooting file issues (e.g., use a different USB flash drive... fixed). Definitely do not ignore CRC errors.

Larmo-Ct

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Fortunately, I heard about the bug, before the update arrived on my machines. I immediately save all of my docs on the "C" drive to other drives. One of which, is an external drive. Microsoft really has to do a better job, of testing its updates, before releasing them. But.. it ain't as bad as a car company having to recall thousands of cars, because.. oopsie.. the breaks will fail, "in a few cases"!?? Back in computer land, the mantra is.. backup, backup, backup!!??