Discussion "The Witcher" PC game Remake announced by CDPR. Will be using "Unreal Engine 5".

Hey guys/gals,

It seems that the FIRST Witcher game in the franchise will get a remake. Honestly speaking, I don't get too exited when I hear about any game's remake these days, but I have never played the original Witcher 1 game. Just played Witcher 3.

But anyways, a remake of the first entry in The Witcher series is currently in development, CD Projekt Red confirmed today. CD Projekt Red's Head of Studio Adam Badowski commented on The Witcher Remake announcement, saying that remaking the game that started it all for the studio feels like a big moment, possibly even bigger than starting the development of the original.

The remake, which will be powered by Unreal Engine 5 as confirmed on the series' official website, is currently in development by Polish developer Fool's Theory, with CDPR providing full creative supervision. The project was previously known by the codename Canis Majoris, as outlined by CD Projekt Red earlier this month.

According to the teams, the game is in a very early development stage. Here is hoping the remake of this game would be worth playing. But since the Witcher Remake is early in development, the release date window and platforms have yet to be confirmed, though obviously the game will also come out on the PC.

Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED, said:

“The Witcher is where it all started for us, for CD PROJEKT RED. It was the first game we made, ever, and it was a big moment for us then. Going back to this place and remaking the game for the next generation of gamers to experience it feels just as big, if not bigger.

Collaborating with Fool’s Theory on the project is just as exciting, as some of the people there have been previously involved in The Witcher games. They know the source material well, they know how much gamers have been looking forward to seeing the remake happen, and they know how to make incredible and ambitious games. And although it will take some time before we’re ready to share more about and from the game, I know it’ll be worth the wait.”

Fool’s Theory CEO Jakub Rokosz added:

“I am very happy that my professional paths have crossed again with fellow developers from the time of working together on The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. Especially when it’s a remake of a project that is so close to our hearts.”

View: https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1585270206305386497

Official PRESS release statement as outline below.

Coinciding with the 15th anniversary of the first Witcher game’s release, CD PROJEKT RED has announced today that The Witcher Remake is currently in the works, and has also shared the first details regarding the project.

Previously referred to by the codename “Canis Majoris” during the studio’s Strategy Update earlier in October, the remake will be a modern reimagining of 2007’s The Witcher — the first game in CD PROJEKT RED’s acclaimed RPG trilogy. The title will be built from the ground up using Unreal Engine 5 technology, and will use the toolset CDPR is creating for the new Witcher saga. The project is currently in the early stages of development at Fool’s Theory — a game development studio specializing in role-playing games.

The team employs numerous veteran developers who previously worked on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and CD PROJEKT RED is providing full creative supervision.

WITCHER-1-REMAKE-1200x391.jpg

CD Projekt is remaking The Witcher in Unreal Engine 5 | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

Hey guys/gals,

It seems that the FIRST Witcher game in the franchise will get a remake. Honestly speaking, I don't get too exited when I hear about any game's remake these days, but I have never played the original Witcher 1 game. Just played Witcher 3.

But anyways, a remake of the first entry in The Witcher series is currently in development, CD Projekt Red confirmed today. CD Projekt Red's Head of Studio Adam Badowski commented on The Witcher Remake announcement, saying that remaking the game that started it all for the studio feels like a big moment, possibly even bigger than starting the development of the original.

The remake, which will be powered by Unreal Engine 5 as confirmed on the series' official website, is currently in development by Polish developer Fool's Theory, with CDPR providing full creative supervision. The project was previously known by the codename Canis Majoris, as outlined by CD Projekt Red earlier this month.

According to the teams, the game is in a very early development stage. Here is hoping the remake of this game would be worth playing. But since the Witcher Remake is early in development, the release date window and platforms have yet to be confirmed, though obviously the game will also come out on the PC.

Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED, said:

“The Witcher is where it all started for us, for CD PROJEKT RED. It was the first game we made, ever, and it was a big moment for us then. Going back to this place and remaking the game for the next generation of gamers to experience it feels just as big, if not bigger.

Collaborating with Fool’s Theory on the project is just as exciting, as some of the people there have been previously involved in The Witcher games. They know the source material well, they know how much gamers have been looking forward to seeing the remake happen, and they know how to make incredible and ambitious games. And although it will take some time before we’re ready to share more about and from the game, I know it’ll be worth the wait.”

Fool’s Theory CEO Jakub Rokosz added:

“I am very happy that my professional paths have crossed again with fellow developers from the time of working together on The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. Especially when it’s a remake of a project that is so close to our hearts.”

View: https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1585270206305386497

Official PRESS release statement as outline below.

Coinciding with the 15th anniversary of the first Witcher game’s release, CD PROJEKT RED has announced today that The Witcher Remake is currently in the works, and has also shared the first details regarding the project.

Previously referred to by the codename “Canis Majoris” during the studio’s Strategy Update earlier in October, the remake will be a modern reimagining of 2007’s The Witcher — the first game in CD PROJEKT RED’s acclaimed RPG trilogy. The title will be built from the ground up using Unreal Engine 5 technology, and will use the toolset CDPR is creating for the new Witcher saga. The project is currently in the early stages of development at Fool’s Theory — a game development studio specializing in role-playing games.

The team employs numerous veteran developers who previously worked on The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and CD PROJEKT RED is providing full creative supervision.

WITCHER-1-REMAKE-1200x391.jpg

CD Projekt is remaking The Witcher in Unreal Engine 5 | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)
I can't help but have mixed feelings about this.

For one, CDPR are still kind of in damage repair mode after their botched Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco, and now they're shoving off the remaking of TW1 to another team. Also, it's bad enough they took on such a big task with Cyberpunk 2077, but now they want to task a different team to a project that uses UE5, an engine that is said to stutter worse than UE4.

From what I've read, some of the Fool's Theory devs worked on TW2 and TW3, but Fool's Theory has only assisted on a couple UE4 games as far as UE experience goes, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Outriders. Outriders is known to have lots of bugs as well.

For one, CDPR are still kind of in damage repair mode after their botched Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco, and now they're shoving off the remaking of TW1 to another team

It definitely looks like a damage control PR move from CDPR. Like I has said before, I have lost faith in CDPR devs after CP2077's release. So I don't expect miracles from these so-called remakes.

And yes, I think UE5 is currently performing worse than UE4. UE5 still remains in early access if I'm not mistaken. Needs a lot of optimization.

I once played Outriders via the XBOX game pass for PC, so that I could at least try the game. The performance was horrible, but I found the combat/gameplay okay and a bit satisfying. My Xbox game pass subscription expired, since I didn't renew it, so I left the game in the middle.

But I might try playing it again in future.

Last edited: