The Witcher Series Free to Play on Steam This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
FYI, if you want to try witcher for free, you may need to restart steam after clicking the free weekend button in order for the game to show up in your library.

Nilo BP

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
The first Witcher game holds a spot in my heart right next to gems like Fallout 2 and New Vegas.It succeeds at providing #1: a good, honest story that's not obnoxious; #2: a real sense of character progress; #3: mechanics that are simple on paper but require patience and attention; and #4: encouraging the player to wander off the beaten path and figure things out without holding his hand.I think it goes without saying that it's not made for your typical console peasant. :)

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
The Witcher 2 was great. One of the most beautiful DirectX 9 games ever made.
I'm kinda iffy on the graphics---to get the absolute best quality (including ubersampling) running at 1080p smoothly, you pretty much have to have 2 GTX680s in SLI. And even then, the draw-in is kind of disappointing.Game is awesome though. Cant wait for the 3rd installment.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
The Witcher 2 was great. One of the most beautiful DirectX 9 games ever made.
I'm kinda iffy on the graphics---to get the absolute best quality (including ubersampling) running at 1080p smoothly, you pretty much have to have 2 GTX680s in SLI. And even then, the draw-in is kind of disappointing.Game is awesome though. Cant wait for the 3rd installment.
Two GTX680's is probably a bit of an exaggeration. I just finished playing the 2nd game with everything at max settings (except ubersampling) at 2560x1440 smoothly on two HD6970's. I'd go as far as saying particular parts of the game such as the forests near the town of Flotsam are some of the most beautiful graphics I've seen in a game in quite some time. Some of the footage from the 3rd game looks absolutely stunning as well.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Two GTX680's is probably a bit of an exaggeration. I just finished playing the 2nd game with everything at max settings (except ubersampling) at 2560x1440 smoothly on two HD6970's. I'd go as far as saying particular parts of the game such as the forests near the town of Flotsam are some of the most beautiful graphics I've seen in a game in quite some time. Some of the footage from the 3rd game looks absolutely stunning as well.
Well, I was including ubersampling...if you dont mind playing with that setting off, then yes, even a single 480 will suffice with other settings maxed @ 1080p (one of my previous videocards). Theres certain graphical anomalies introduced when using the non-uber in-game antialiasing, so I tend to prefer the uber setting.Like I mentioned, the immediate scenery can be amazing, but the draw distance, and the way the game engine transitions from near to far, isnt so attractive IMHO.But none of these things comes close to ruining an amazing game.

I hate these free to play for a limited time games on Steam showing up automatically in my library. They should have an option to block them from showing up. I only want games in my library that I actually purchased.

Darth_Kaar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Yes, they show up, but are not downloaded on default. When the promotion is gone, so they disappear from library.

woodscrews

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

>what is VAC

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

And how is it spyware?

woodscrews

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

it scans your RAM to find software that may be used for cheating

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

Nope.

It scans DNS cache for known IP addresses/domains that distribute cheating software. It has a double trigger system to help prevent false positives. The banned user's DNS cache contained evidence of both triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.