the workstation dilemma

metal beaver

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
i want to upgrade my cpu and motherboard and i cant set my mine on a build. I want to build a pc strictly for solidworks , photoshop, photoview, etc. I have a bugdet around 500 $.The motherboard in my buid can change to get cheaper one. I dont plan on barely any overclock. Right now i have

fx-8350
msi g46 970a
1 dvd drive
amd firepro v4900
8 gb 1866 mhz ram
1 hard drive

first build :

Intel Core i7-4770K
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H (up to suggestion)

second build :

Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 (up to suggestion)

third build :

keep cpu
Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 am3+

thank in advance

Solution
No offense, but workstation build, keep your build, upgrade motherboard to overclock cpu more, double your ram, add another 3tb hhd, and grab an ssd. Will beat out any side upgrade to intel. Now yes intel is better, but not by much. And if you add to yours the difference will be far more noticeable than going just intel.

JimF_35

Distinguished
first build:
Intel Core i7-4770K
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H (up to suggestion)

I like this one. I like both the motherboard and CPU. :D

second build :
Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 (up to suggestion)

I like XEONs for work stations but I am not a big fan of ASrock mother boards though. They tend to have compatibility issues.

third build :
keep cpu
Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 am3+

I love the Sabertooth motherboard but I am not sure your AMD is up to the task. How is it currently working for you?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
No offense, but workstation build, keep your build, upgrade motherboard to overclock cpu more, double your ram, add another 3tb hhd, and grab an ssd. Will beat out any side upgrade to intel. Now yes intel is better, but not by much. And if you add to yours the difference will be far more noticeable than going just intel.

Solution

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I was in exact same boat as you a few months ago, someone recommended the same, showed me several sites showing difference between 4770k and my chip. What, maybe 10% better intel is in some, 0-5% in more, and worse in some areas. Which it really is just a side grade not really an upgrade. and to spend $500, id want more than just a small bump in some areas. I got 2 240gb ssds, another 3tb drive which brought me to 3 3tb drives, picked up an additional 1tb external hhd, and way overspent but installed custom liquid cooling. Got my chip to 5.2ghz when editing, 32gb ram now, and ssd speeds around 1ghz read write with plenty and plenty of hhd space for all saved work. Just trying to save up for a workstation card, but I game a lot to so not to sure how or which way I want to go on gpu route

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Sabertooth is really nice, but you could save $30-50 and get the asus mea99fx pro r2.0. Still overclocks like a beast, your not really missing any features other than the tough armor and such. But either way for amd top end would be the pro or the sabertooth, cant go wrong either way.