News The world’s first RISC-V laptop gets a big update — DeepComputing doubled the core count, increased clocks to 2 GHz, and added AI capabilities

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The article said:
RISC-V is an open-source architecture
The article gets a lot right, but this one point we keep coming back to... it's an open and royalty-free standard. You can't have an open source standard, only open-source implementations. RISC-V doesn't require that implementations be open source, though there are a few.

The article said:
Calista Redmond, the CEO of Swiss-based RISC-V International, is adamant that RISC-V remain open. She said, “RISC-V is an open standard ...
Yes! She obviously knows what she's talking about! Why don't you pay attention to how she said it??

Tagging @PaulAlcorn

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
The SpacemiT X60 cores are in-order dual-issue.
This is one of the first cores to support the RVA22 profile, plus it has a 256-bit vector unit. This means that its ISA support is pretty much feature-comparable to ARMv8.
I have yet to see benchmarks actually compiled to that profile though. The single-core benchmarks I've seen have been compiled to RV64GC and been a little lower than the ARM Cortex A53 (also in-order dual-issue), but not by much.

There are ARM A53 in the Raspberry PI 3, but half as many and clocked lower than in this laptop.

Reactions: bit_user

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
"and uses the same reduced instruction set computer (RISC) architecture that Arm bases its designs on"
This is very poorly worded. Yes, they are both RISC architectures. No, they are not the SAME RISC architecture. The way it is currently worded would (IMO) suggest to most readers that you could run an arm binary on riscv.
Edit: my suggestion "RISCV, like Arm, is a reduced instruction set computer (RISC) architecture,"

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
"and uses the same reduced instruction set computer (RISC) architecture that Arm bases its designs on"
This is very poorly worded.
You're right, but I didn't feel like nitpicking that particular aspect. If you know enough to parse it that closely, then you don't need to be told. If you don't know the subject so well, then you're probably not paying enough attention to that specific wording for the details to matter all that much.

It probably would've been better for the article to just say they're both based on the RISC school of thought and put a link to the Wikipedia page on it. Saying any more gets down quite a rathole. For one thing, I've seen people debate whether AArch64 adheres to RISC orthodoxy well enough even to deserve being called RISC.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I wonder if at these clocks binary translation on a x86 or ARM base wouldn't still be quite a bit faster.

Sure you've got to admire that they are making the effort, but at A53 speeds you'd have to be a masochist to actually use that as a laptop.

Having a Raspberry type test machine around for validations makes a lot of sense to me. If you could run that on an hardware enclave inside a normal laptop, that would be ok, too, especially when you travel.

But dedicating a full shiny costly laptop to such a dog? I can't see them selling a lot of those and I can't see me swapping the compute module during different parts of the work day, either.

And where are all the high-performance cores that so many startups seem to have had in the works? From EPI to the various Chinese hyperscalers?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wonder if at these clocks binary translation on a x86 or ARM base wouldn't still be quite a bit faster.
It's hard for me to argue against this statement, but I can see a possible edge case. I think the "emulator" approach, if I may use that term loosely, might not match the timing behavior of real hardware. For people looking to do testing, tuning, and debugging on RISC-V, the gold standard is probably to do it on real hardware.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
It's hard for me to argue against this statement, but I can see a possible edge case. I think the "emulator" approach, if I may use that term loosely, might not match the timing behavior of real hardware. For people looking to do testing, tuning, and debugging on RISC-V, the gold standard is probably to do it on real hardware.
In the olden days we used to have quite a few systems with expansion cards that allowed running an alternate CPU in your PC, but reusing most of the parts like RAM, disks, graphics cards, peripherals etc. , because at the time they were so very expensive. With those you booted your PC into an alternate personality, when requried.

You had lots of microcomputer competitors e.g. Motorolas 68x00 on PCs, but IBM even sold tiny mainframes to go into your PC, long before Hercules (or Gene Amdahl) stared emulation or binary translation.

Some others basically ran another pysical system inside and in parallel to your PC, much like a single VM with an alternate ISA, heck even my Apple ][ with the CP/M Z-80 SoftCard did that.

I guess today cost parameters are just so different it makes very little sense, you can share test machines on the network and then there is always the cloud.

The only use case I have so far been able to come up with in a Framework notebook form factor at near enough economic scale would be military or security. For people putting their lives on line, a bit of masochism is simply part of the mission.

Jun 25, 2024
The article gets a lot right, but this one point we keep coming back to... it's an open and royalty-free standard. You can't have an open source standard, only open-source implementations. RISC-V doesn't require that implementations be open source, though there are a few.

Yes! She obviously knows what she's talking about! Why don't you pay attention to how she said it??
Being pedantic about when it comes to open standards vs open source implementations aside, I am not sure I understand the second sentence or how it really relates or your choice of emphasis in your question.

Can you clarify what you mean?

How she said it seems pretty implied, that the open nature of Risc-V is a statement of fact and they are not ceding ground on control to any individual corporate/nation/state interest.

Paying attention to how you are saying this just makes it more confusing. I don't understand why she was emphasized as it was in this context. There was really no need for it and if you had not emphasized it, then it would have been pretty straightforward as a good suggestion for journalism, to pay closer attention to tone and nuance and whatnot.