The Worst Tech of the Last 10 Years

g-unit1111

Titan
The Bulldozer was a fail, sure, but that gave way to what may be one of the worst CPUs of the modern era ever made, maybe one of the worst CPUs of all time - the FX 9590. That CPU is such a fail that its' failures have been well documented and become a joke among the serious tech enthusiast and hobbyist communities, and even us moderators as well.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Steam Machines may have been a failure, but I still use my Steam Link regularly and even bought a second when they had their inventory clearance sale. It has its quirks, but has been a nice way to game anywhere in the house without moving my desktop.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Maybe it didn't sell enough units to get a mention, but the Leap Motion Controller was an abject fail. The idea of being able to manipulate your computer like Tom Cruise in Minority Report was a cool idea, but the implementation with the Leap was not a good user experience.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
About the Note 7, you see, after the recall Samsung re-launched the phone again in few regions as the "Note Fan Edition" (Note FE). It's pretty much the same phone, but with smaller battery and cheaper price tag (by flagship standards). I decided to pick one up, and it's actually a dam good phone (when it's not exploding left and right, of course). I still use it (am typing this on it right now) and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon, even though it looks quite old in the sea of borderless phone these days. It was a great deal back then, honestly.

g-unit1111

Titan
About the Note 7, you see, after the recall Samsung re-launched the phone again in few regions as the "Note Fan Edition" (Note FE). It's pretty much the same phone, but with smaller battery and cheaper price tag (by flagship standards). I decided to pick one up, and it's actually a dam good phone (when it's not exploding left and right, of course). I still use it (am typing this on it right now) and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon, even though it looks quite old in the sea of borderless phone these days. It was a great deal back then, honestly.

Huh, I forgot that Samsung did that. My current phone is a Galaxy S9+ and it has been great so far, I have no plans to replace it currently but might if something cool comes along.

Maybe it didn't sell enough units to get a mention, but the Leap Motion Controller was an abject fail. The idea of being able to manipulate your computer like Tom Cruise in Minority Report was a cool idea, but the implementation with the Leap was not a good user experience.
The company is still around though (or apparently merged with another company), and I suspect we will likely see Leap-like technology natively integrated into VR and AR headsets before long. And that kind of usage scenario seems like a much better fit for the hardware than desktop computers. The original device does seem to have been of questionable usefulness though.

g-unit1111

Titan
Hey, you forgot Google Glass. Those terrible, useless and expensive glasses.

Yeah I think the only person who ever looked cool wearing Google Glasses was Tony Stark.

Robert-Downey-Jr-Captain-America-1050x700.jpg