The Xbox One X, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...what is the hardware? You talk about the "impressive hardware", but give no details about it. We know it's a custom AMD chip, but is it based off a Ryzen 1400 or a 1800? Is it a Ryzen chip at all? Are we looking at a custom Polaris or Vega based GPU? How much RAM? what's it clocked at?

I'm much more interested to see how far they have come to being on par with PC's, than seeing screenshots.

Same, i'd like to see specs and pc vs xbox one x comparisons.
Mostly as i'm just interested.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
Pointless purchase unless you don't have an Xbox One at all. This really isn't worth purchasing until all game new games moving forward are optimized for it...meaning purchase next year after they slash prices due to low sales. Wait it out unless you don't already have one or truly require 4K for a specific title dropping this holiday season.

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Meh, I'll use my pc with 7700k and 1080ti thank you at ultra wide 1440. When 4k gets an ultra wide I'll get that.

Dude no need to brag.

I have a hexa-core rig but i still game on my Xbox one downstairs on the coach.

Console are still fine, on a TV 30fps is fine.

I have a 144hz display for my pc.

alextheblue

Distinguished
It's a higher-clocked 8-core cat core, a modified Jaguar/Puma. Similar to what is in the XB1, but clocked at 2.3Ghz. Zen cores weren't ready when they were designing this custom SoC, integrating Zen would have meant a massive redesign that would delay it until who knows when. Sticking with cat cores also aids Backwards Compatibility. As far as Vega goes, similar story. No time - they're using a slightly older GCN core design, albeit probably customized, along with other custom hardware blocks.

But here's the good news: none of that actually matters. It's a console, and at the end of the day what matters is results. They have enough CPU horsepower to run the GPU-bound games. They have 12GB of GDDR on a wide bus with tons of bandwidth. They have enough GCN cores to push 6 TFlops, which is quite respectable for a console.

I'm a PC gamer first and console gamer second. I still choose to build my own desktops from time to time. But I always get a kick out of PC Master Race comments. Like hey, a console discussion - time to brag about how my PC is better. It's like comparing a stock family sedan to a modified sports car. "I'll stick to my RX-8 with a heavily built LS7, thanks."

Also, what kind of complete PC build (including OS) can you get for $500? Let alone a prebuilt.

williamrp1988

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yes, they did. I don't see a link to it, in this article, but they reported on MS' announcement of the specs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-scorpio-engine-soc-details,35282.html

Of course it matters, silly. But I think your point is that it's a fixed hardware target that devs can optimize for, and it's powerful enough to manage the latest games (if a little weak in the CPU department). Not at 4k, but I guess they needed a selling point.

Exactly. Compared to a PC, you're really getting a lot for your money - even at the initial price. They obviously have to keep prices down so that sales volume is high enough to attract lots of decent content. It's all a balancing act. Gone are the days when consoles were truly pushing the performance envelope.

josephhenry626

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
Don’t forget, it also plays 4K Blu Rays. A stand alone player costs $200+.

There’s a lot of value in this new Xbox, more than $500 worth.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I'm not impressed to be honest. There is not that much difference in the image quality to justify upgrading to it. I can play at 4K on my TV now with me PC but I usually just keep it at 1080 and let the TV upconvert it I can't tell a difference. I also find the overall ascetics of the council lacking. It looks cheap. I'm sitting here going through my memories and I can say that it's probably the worse looking council to date but maybe they were going for that so it doesn't stand out on your entertainment center that's just my opinion.

Now for people that always say you can't get that for the same price on PC they never take into account the full price of a council. You have the council at $500 + 4K HDR TV at $700 + 5 years of Xbox live $300 = $1500

Now this is subjective if you plan on playing on it for 5 years but I'm assuming what average people will do. I can build a pretty nice PC for that plus more games and cheaper at that.

First of all, it took me quite a long time to understand what you meant with "council".
Second, your calculations have a really big mistake:
You are including the price of a TV, but a lot of people already have one or are interested in getting one to watch movies, so they are not gonna buy one just for the xbox. It would be like including the price of the couch.

So it would be closer to $800, if you intend to use xbox live. The best argument you can make is the price of the games itself (and steam sales), to be honest.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
Yea I'm sure it was real difficult what I meant.. btw I'm on a phone it auto corrected that in there second I see you edited your post because of a misspelled word so maybe I should call you out bit I'm not that small of a person or have the need to make someone fell lesser to make myself feel better.

My point still stands that the majority of people do not own a 4K TV with HDR much less a 4K TV. Since the majority of people on video game consoles are younger adults this would be a required purchase to justify buying this console over just getting a regular one for $200 or less with bundled games. As for people upgrading from the standard Xbox one it's going to be a small minority.

Mark my words this will be a flop worse then the Xbox one which in my opinion was not a flop but it just didn't beat out the PS4. I have a feeling Sony will be coming around the corner with a PS5 before too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS