The Xeon 3000 serries....... Core 2 with a spiffy name??

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I read an article on Dailytech.com about intel's new Xeon 3000 serries. When it will be introduced, the lineup will be four processors, all with the same speed as Conroe, with the 4/2 mb cashe as conroe AND at the exact same price as conroe. They also said it would be based on the "core 2"

I checked my calander, and nope, its not april first

All the details I can find after a few minutes on google show no difference between the new Xeons and the Core 2

Its not like the Xeons cost more either.

And they fit in the same socket

So does anyone konw what the advantage is??

(and is it possible that they will operate at a higher voltage???? pretty please??? I REALLY cant afford a new mobo...)

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
They don't fit in the same socket. I used to recall there being some sort of special deal about them, but I believe they're made for single SP?U workstations, which means Conroe with PCI-X in case you can't find that now or something, I haven't looked. (AND NO, NOT PCI-E. I SWEAR I WILL KILL THE NEXT PERSON WHO THINKS PCI-X IS PCI-E)

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Intel is expected to launch a Conroe-based Xeon 3000 series processor lineup in September. Four Xeon 3000 series models will be released—the Xeon 3070, 3060, 3050 and 3040. Xeon 3000 series will be clocked at 2.66, 2.40, 2.13 and 1.86 GHz respectively. The new Xeons will use the same Socket T (LGA775) as current Core 2 Duo Conroe and Pentium D processors and operate on a 1066 MHz front-side bus.

It says above that it will use the same socket. Do you know where you read that they used a different socket??

and I really dont see why people confuse pci-e and pci-x... they are two different letters. now maybe if it were pci-m and pci-n... atleast those letters rhyme.....