Thecus N4810 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Doesn't anyone think to remove all the cellophane and wipe kit down with a damp cloth or similar before taking photos of it?

videobear

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
It's a shame you tell us how great a media server it is, but then fail to perform any tests with Plex transcoding, 4K display or any other media functions.

then fail to perform any tests with Plex transcoding
Yeah, I was just thinking, it may be nice but for that price you'd think it would be fast enough to do transcoding for plex but the specs don't look good enough for that.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
For the last two years many of the Intel SoC processors feature extensions that accelerate transcoding and other multimedia tasks. Yes, the system can transcode Plex just fine. The system outputs to UHD just fine as well.

I do have modern Synology systems with Intel processors on hand. I have them from every NAS manufacture. If you guys want more coverage on the software side I'll take that back to the staff and push for enhanced coverage. I don't have a problem writing ten page reviews. I used to do at least one a month back in the day.

As for wiping the systems down, there is a reason for that. The piano black systems show finger prints and dusk like you wouldn't believe. It will scratch with a regular paper towel. I try to show the fingerprints and other undesirables that build up after two weeks use in a lab.

mavrrick

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
It won't do any transcoding for plex. The cpu doesn't even score 2k on passmark so therefore it will be insufficient for more then 1 stream at 720p. Probably great as a plex client though

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Anyone considering ANY NAS as a plex server is out of their mind. Plex needs a strong cpu, despite local network streaming (this is a problem with plex).

Nothing special here move along. Another non zfs supporting, 1gbps limited nas. Move along.

nutjob2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

Yeah, that was a rhetorical question, but that opening paragraph reads like corporate boilerplate and seems irrelevant to the review. And it's in bold. I skimmed the rest of the review and seemed quite gushy, thus my comment...

ashburner

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
How would this stand up to the Synology 916+? That's the model I was planning on buying. With 8GB, it's $599. Also, I'm curious as to why you didn't test with link aggregation. I mean, that's a main point of buying something like this if you can nearly double your transfer speed.

acerb_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
It seems pretty similar in features and hardware to the Asustor AS-6204T. So I wouldn't say it's currently unmatched in its price category.
They both stands HDMI, SPDIF, support link aggregation, etc. I'm just curious on the difference between the Thecus optimized version of Kodi and the Asustor one...

acerb_

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
I think it's quite similar to the Asustor AS-6204T, so I wouldn't say it's "unmatched in features and quality". Both of them have the multimedia features (hdmi & spdif + kodi & plex), link aggregation (to go above 1Gbps), the possibility to extend the memory to 8GB and a good catalog of apps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS