Question Theoretical RAM limits

May 18, 2024
I am just getting started in my computer and coding journey but I have been wondering about something related to RAM and the ability to have more of it.

Assuming you are not limited by your OS (such as by building one with the express purpose of utilizing as much RAM as possible), could you string together however much RAM you can link up to each other and the motherboard? My understanding is that RAM is basically chips of highly organized grids with each cell in the grid (not sure if its just a flat grid or a 3 dimensional one) having a specific address that allows your computer to call on it directly and use nearly instantaneously. Adding a new stick of RAM is therefore basically expanding the grid. Or the grid is predefined and the RAM sticks just unlock new maps of the grid that is already there.

Assuming that's correct, is there a theoretical limit to the size of the grid that is the Ram? Especially with today's technology. Cause it feels like if you have some ability with a soldering iron, you could stitch more receptors for the sticks that already are on the market onto a circuit board and just go to town.

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
The limit is the chipset on your motherboard/processor. They'll only address so much RAM.

Edit to add more context: I am absolutely no expert, but have been on this journey a bit longer. It takes a lot of I/O processing and throughput to address a lot of RAM. This imposes serious overhead the more RAM you add to a RAM module, and the more RAM you add to a system. Just connecting the chips together won't cut it.

Edit to add: https://superuser.com/questions/1696524/can-a-cpu-support-more-ram-than-specified-by-intel
@Ramhound I think you have a point there. The Northbridge in that chipset (if the Amazon specs are correct that is) doesn't really support 32 GB DDR4 So-DIMMs. Now I have seen some laptops (using same Northbridge and CPU) that actually worked with 32 GB DDR4 SO-DIMMs, but used them as 16 GB modules. A colleague at work tried to upgrade some 2x16 laptops to 2x32 and came to me when the extra RAM didn't show up in Windows. After some digging around we determined this could never work and that it was pure luck the laptops worked at all with the oversized RAM.
Tonny
Dec 30, 2021 at 9:58
and: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=236849
(Intel Core Ultra 185H):

Memory Specifications​

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 96 GB
Memory Types Up to LPDDR5/x 7467 MT/s
Up to DDR5 5600 MT/s
Max # of Memory Channels 2
ECC Memory Supported ‡ No

Last edited: