Question There is a "ghost" floppy drive that prevents me from installing Windows 7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
I have a PC here that has Windows XP running, and I want to upgrade it to Win7. The only problem is, when I load the installer, it wants to find the floppy disk in partition A:\, and I don't even have a floppy drive to begin with. I tried disabling it from the boot order in the BIOS, the partition A:\ has been removed in XP, as well as I removed the floppy drive from the hardwares list, but it is still the same. What can I do?

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
Can you show a screenshot?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I actually started installing a Debian and then I will try installing Win7 again. But if the problem is still there I will give screenshot

The screenshot ( View: https://imgur.com/a/UDjJ5TE
)

Yes it is in hungarian. In english it means:

The drive isn't ready

The drive isn't available. Maybe its door is open. Check if there is a disk in A: drive and if the door is closed.

Cancel - Retry - Next

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
I actually started installing a Debian and then I will try installing Win7 again. But if the problem is still there I will give screenshot

The screenshot ( View: https://imgur.com/a/UDjJ5TE
)

Yes it is in hungarian. In english it means:

The drive isn't ready
The drive isn't available. Maybe its door is open. Check if there is a disk in A: drive and if the door is closed.
Cancel - Retry - Next

That is not a standard windows 7 installation message.
You have some weird windows 7 install media.
I downloaded an official iso and all the same

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
I don't see anywhere that you've told the BIOS that no floppy is installed. Same place you define what other drives are present.
Ah, I forgor. Sorry. I only found the HDD and the CD-reader as devices that could be disabled (and they are actually present in my PC). Under boot priority, there IS a so called '1st floppy reader'. It seems like I can disable it from boot order, then save settings and reboot, but when selecting boot device, it just always appears back, right at the top no matter which place I give it to. Then back to BIOS settings and it is there disabled, just as I left it.

Status
Not open for further replies.