there is always something to keep you busy

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
My chipset fan died, does anyone know if I can replace it with <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/tgf020.htm" target="_new">this</A>? Don't feel like waiting 3 weeks for another motherboard, Asus would replace the whole mobo instead of just sending me a fan, they are weird.

To be honest I hate the fact that they always send me back a rebuilt motherboard instead of mine fixed, I mean c'mon 3 weeks and they send me joe blow's motherboard? nevermind, just venting.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Think of it this way; if they DID send you back your own MB, then it would probobly be 6 weeks.

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
That looks like a fine replacement. Are you planning on replacing the heatsink as well, or just the fan? Only reason I ask it that is might be a bit difficult to get off the old heatsink (depending on what type of glue they used to put it on).

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you have the space for that, I would recommend you save some time and money, and simply use a 40mm CPU fan on your stock heatsink. These can be found on many 486 and early Pentium coolers, or at Radio Shack (for about 5x what they cost in a computer store).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
<font color=red>kanaz</font color=red>... you are most likely right, but at least my mobo was brand new when I sent it in the first time. bastards LOL (joke) Also the one they give back always have the old bios, no clue why when there is 2 newer ones since the one it comes with.

<font color=blue>jlanka</font color=blue>... there was no glue or even any thermal paste, it's so cheap! At least the A7V266 I opened in the store (to see if it would fit or not) got paste under. Couldn't measure it right on because it would have mess up the blue orb, so just put it real close and looked okay.

<font color=green>Crashman</font color=green>... Yeah I got some 40mm fans, have a few hanging around from the days when I was going to make my own bay cooler. Those little things are so fast they whine too much so gave up on the bay cooler with them. They were not 486 coolers, some other kind I picked up in a store because they were pushing crazy ammount of air for size. Anyway, what they call heatsink on the chipset is nothing but a bracket to hold the fan, no fins or anything on it. Weird, ugly, not even sure it did anything.

Anyway, I went to buy the Thermaltake Blue Orb Chipset Cooler. The clips are off by 1 maybe 2mm, would be easy to fix it with a drill making the hole for it longer on the cooler. But why bother, Tt gives not only paste if you use the clips, but they also give you a double sided thermal tape in case the holes don't match. You can still use one clip for safety in case the double sided gives. Also got an adapter if I don't want to hook the power to the mobo. I like Tt a lot lately, it's good to see some companies think ahead instead of making people miserable just to save a dollar. No I don't get payed by them! LOL 50x50x15mm, ball bearing, 4600 Rpm, 15 CFM, 26 dBA, 50,000 hours, not bad.

Thanks for the responses. ;)

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>