There must be an easier way to switch HDMI output to my TV

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Situation:

I have 2 970's in SLI running 3 x monitors. I also have a 10m HDMI cable running from the back of my PC which is permanantly plugged into the TV.

Problem:

I want to know if there is a switch or some kind of device which will save me having to physically unplug the HDMI monitor cable from the graphics card and swapping it with the one plugged into my TV when i want to output to my TV to watch a film.

I'm not interested in using Chrome cast i basically want my desktop on my TV at the flick of a switch.

Can i use the spare unused HDMI port on my 2nd graphics card to output a signal to the TV whenever i want to ?

It's a pain in the ass going under the desk to swap over the cables.

Cheers!

cant see why you couldnt use the hdmi port on the second card--though never done sli--but its easy enough to plug it in and find out--one gtx970 can do 4 monitors if i remember right so a tv is basically another monitor

thats assuming your tv can select inputs so you dont get windows desktop on tv when you want to watch tv---just about every modern tv allows manually selecting inputs anyway

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

If you have SLI enabled it won't let you use any outputs on the 2nd GPU.

fair enough--install the driver for the onboard graphics and try that

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
So i have 2 x DVI 1 x DP 1 x HDMI on each card. My monitors dont have DP input therefore on card one i need to use HDMI/DVI/DVI for Nvidia surround.

I installed the graphics card drive for the intel onboard graphics and for some reason i need to unplug/plug in the hdmi from the onboard for the screen to come on.

I can't use the 2nd card to display a 4th monitor if SLI is enabled.

screenshot_68.png

Anyone got any ideas?