[SOLVED] There will be connection issues , connecting a powerline and a mesh on the same router?

Apr 8, 2021
Hi, i wanted use a powerline tp-link system for the gaming and streaming and a mesh system, always tp-link, for cover other part of my house, my question is, i read that for installing both of them i have to connect it to my router via Ethernet with a LAN cable, if i connect both of them, there will be problem about the power and stability of the signal? do you think is better if i connect both to the router, or the powerline to the mesh and just the mesh to the router? Thank you very much for your attention

Solution
You really should avoid using any mesh system if you can use anything else. Mesh is nothing magic it is a slightly better repeater system but it still suffers from having multiple wifi signals between the end device and the router.

You do not want to run 2 routers in the path.

Your best design is going to be to use powerline to get the network extended though the house. You then use a AP or router running as a AP that you plug into the powerline. You can if your really want plug mesh units into the powerline units but there really is little advantage and these so called mesh systems cost much more than a inexpensive router running as a AP. You can also get powerline units with radios in the remote unit. This is in effect...
You really should avoid using any mesh system if you can use anything else. Mesh is nothing magic it is a slightly better repeater system but it still suffers from having multiple wifi signals between the end device and the router.

You do not want to run 2 routers in the path.

Your best design is going to be to use powerline to get the network extended though the house. You then use a AP or router running as a AP that you plug into the powerline. You can if your really want plug mesh units into the powerline units but there really is little advantage and these so called mesh systems cost much more than a inexpensive router running as a AP. You can also get powerline units with radios in the remote unit. This is in effect a AP inside the powerline. It is a bit cheaper but the antenna are small compared to a router running as a AP.

Running it this way you do not have that extra wifi hop between the remote radio and the router.

Note if you have coax tv cable in the rooms you can use MoCA instead. Moca can actually get gigabit speeds where powerline does not generally go above 300mbps even with the av2-2000 units.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Hi, i wanted use a powerline tp-link system for the gaming and streaming and a mesh system, always tp-link, for cover other part of my house, my question is, i read that for installing both of them i have to connect it to my router via Ethernet with a LAN cable, if i connect both of them, there will be problem about the power and stability of the signal? do you think is better if i connect both to the router, or the powerline to the mesh and just the mesh to the router? Thank you very much for your attention
I strongly recommend against powerline for stuff requiring a stable internet connection (such as gaming or streaming).
Likewise for Wifi. You just wont get a stable connection. Someone switches on the vacum in your house and goodbye to your good connection on powerline. Best connect your computer to the router via plain, old, simple lan cable. There is no way around.