[SOLVED] There's no sound from laptop speakers since updating Realtek Audio drivers ?

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
I had a problem with my headset Arctis 3 wherein when I plug it in, my laptop (Acer Nitro 5, AN515-54 -- Windows 10) recognizes the device but still plays the audio on my speaker. I thought that my drivers were outdated so I tried installing a new one. I installed one from Acer's website but I had a loop reinstalling Realtek Audio drivers. I had to uninstall manually inside Device Manager and so I did and restarted my laptop. After that, I installed the new downloaded drivers and restarted the laptop. Now, I can't hear anything from my laptop.

There is a brief time that Windows prompts have sounds but then I can see my volume icon in the bottom left going mute and then reappears to have a volume again. But after the volume icon reappears with volume, sound doesn't come out either from my speakers or headset, in short Windows doesn't have a sound. It wont recognize my headset anymore. I also updated my drivers for High Definition Audio Controller but it seems like it wasn't any help.

EDIT 1: Now, it doesn't go mute then reappears with volume. When my laptop starts, the volume slider is on full but Windows doesn't still have a sound, even videos from Youtube or games.

EDIT 2: When I try to test my speakers inside Sound window, it prompts "Failed to play test tone!"

EDIT 3: When I troubleshoot my speakers, it says audio services not responding. I have looked for fixes but Windows Audio is running and other services that needs to be running.

EDIT 4: I have also tried downloading default drivers, and updating through Windows update. Both didnt work. Note that I did manually uninstall before installing new drivers.

EDIT 5: Windows Troubleshooter also says that I should open Audio Enhancements. On or off, Windows still doesn't have a sound.

EDIT 6: I updated it using Device Manager's updater, picked drivers from my available listed drivers in my computer and selected High Definition Audio Device. The laptop speakers and headset worked but I can't get my headset mic to work. Note: High Definition Audio Device works but Realtek Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio drivers does not.

EDIT 7: Still can't get my headset mic to work. Realtek Audio Console is not working properly as it says "Can not connect to RPC service" even though the RPC service inside services.msc is running and starts automatically.

EDIT 8: Also, drivers from Acer's website doesn't work.

Last edited:
Solution
D
I think DDU can remove audio drivers as well as video drivers so you should totally remove your audio drivers with that utility if it’s possible. Then reboot and let windows install it’s default drivers

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
Look in Reliability History for any audio related errors, warnings, or informational events. There may be some clue therein.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Both SFC and DISM scans returned no problems. Meanwhile, I found two events using reliability history that may be helpful:
https://ibb.co/Vgq9BZC

D

Deleted member 14196

I think DDU can remove audio drivers as well as video drivers so you should totally remove your audio drivers with that utility if it’s possible. Then reboot and let windows install it’s default drivers

Solution

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015

Okay, let me try. Will let you know the result right after! May I know how can I use this DDU? I don't think I know how to use it to uninstall audio drivers.

D

Deleted member 14196

No I miss spoke it’s only for display drivers I thought I could also remove audio drivers but apparently not however there are power shell commands you can use to do it from an admin power shell

See this thread

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
No I miss spoke it’s only for display drivers I thought I could also remove audio drivers but apparently not however there are power shell commands you can use to do it from an admin power shell

See this thread
I actually don't know how to work around with those kind of commands 😅😅

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
UPDATE: I discovered something that might be odd. When I uninstall drivers from Realtek (R) Audio inside Devices Manager (uninstall driver software is ticked), the device should not be there but mine's still there when I scan for changes. Windows now magically have sounds but seconds later, Windows will prompt me to restart because Realtek (R) Audio needs my system to be restarted to complete installation. And so I did restart my laptop, I don't know why but windows doesn't have sound after restarting. It's so frustrating, it's like something is overlapping with my existing drivers.

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
The device re-appears after scanning for changes or re-booting because that device/component is still present inside the laptop -- so Windows detects it again & re-installs it's drivers.

That is perfectly normal behaviour, not "odd" at all.
Oh okay, is that so? How come it doesn't work if Windows automatically reinstalls its drivers? When I troubleshoot, it says audio services not responding but when I checked the said services, they are running and starts automatically. The same things happens when I install from Acer's drivers and Realtek's website.

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
I think I found a fix for my problem. I think this is for those who have tried several drivers but still can't make their audio to work. Press Windows key + S and search "restore point". Click on "Create a restore point" and under System Protection tab, click on "System Restore". It will undo any system changes you have made by reverting your computer to a previous restore point. Just tick "Undo System Restore" and follow the instructions. I updated my windows using Windows Update under Update & Security in Settings. Install all updates as well as optional ones. Restart the system and it worked for me.

Ralston18

Titan
Microsoft Management Console

mmc.exe

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/what-is-mmc-exe-and-is-it-safe/

My overall thought is that some file was corrupted or mis-configured.

Eventually between the various updates, re-installs, restarts, reboots, etc., along with the system restore, all got back into order and the problem got worked out.

As for the exact details - I would be quite hard pressed to to explain what happened.

Gremlins.

Be sure that all data is being backed up at least 2 x, proven recoverable, and readable. One backup set off of the computer and one set stored elsewhere.

Gremlins are known to return.....

TRENDING THREADS