Thermal Epoxy Removal

Shane_DA_BANE

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Is there a safe chemical way to remove thermal epoxy? I'm asking this because last night I accidently covered some of the frontal pins of the memory on my Geforce 4 ti4200 with this Arctic Alumina adhesive. Now the video card doesn't work! I doubt that I killed it with static, but that certainly is a possibility. However, right now my primary goal is to remove the thermal epoxy in the hope of salvaging my beloved video card. Otherwise, I think I'll have to go out and spend $450 for a Radeon 9800 XT. Rats. Any suggestions? Mind you, this epoxy is stuck between these really tiny pins so I'd like something that'll liquify the epoxy but not the graphics card =p. Plz help if you have any experience with this stuff.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Bout the only thing that may even dent it is acetone. And then you have to watch out because acetone will dissolve plastic pretty easily...or you might stick the card in the freezer for a couple hours then come back and use a scribe (small tool like what dentists use) and chip it off. That's my suggestion.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Guess what, your video card and the artic silver adhesive are both made of Epoxy. Your only hope is to try scraping the stuff off.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yup, so if it can disolve your artic alumina, then it can dislove your pcb lol.

BTW i thought that alumina was not conductive?

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

TRENDING THREADS