Thermal grease between thermal pad and heatsink

Powercase

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hello,

I want to ask if its ok to put a bit of thermal grease between thermal pad and heatsink to ensure good connection?

Regards

Solution

Oh, I thought you meant the VRMs on the motherboard, the pads should be plenty enough, I wouldnt really use grease on those either to be honest, whenever I have swapped graphics card coolers, its always been advised to use pads on the memory and grease only on the core, same thing really.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

What, noooo, dont use thermal grease and a thermal pad, thats way too much material, you'll end up blocking heat transfer, use one or the other.

If you mean thermal grease between the top of the CPU, the IHS (Intergrated heat spreader) and the heatsink then yes.

Do you mean after you've already applied thermal paste and mounted the heatsink? Do you want to cram some into the edges? That's not necessary, and if you originally applied the paste properly, it will cover all it needs to cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ

Powercase

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Im asking because between my heatsink and vrams there is a space and i know that thermal grease its not good for filling big gaps so im going to use thermal pads but to make sure everything connects a little of grease? sorry for not mentioning its for vrams not cpu

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

No dont put thermal grease of any kind on those, you'll fry your motherboard and potentially anything connected to it.

Powercase

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Im talking about vrams on gpu(http://i.imgur.com/FHUAH75.png) i my case its on the pcb because its from my laptop but anyway i already use thermal grease on then just the connection does not loot good and i want to use thermal pads instead i ordered 1mm thick pads but im not sure if its going to be enough so back to my question.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Oh, I thought you meant the VRMs on the motherboard, the pads should be plenty enough, I wouldnt really use grease on those either to be honest, whenever I have swapped graphics card coolers, its always been advised to use pads on the memory and grease only on the core, same thing really.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS