[SOLVED] Thermal issue EVGA 3080 FTW ULTRA

LTECl

Honorable
May 9, 2017
my EVGA 3080 ftw ultra get super hot 90 degree celcius maximum when i play apex 2k ultra said hw info idle average is 60... my case is meshify C fractal design...im using 2front, 2 top, AND 1 radiotor back with 2 fan... all of it is 120mm need suggestion what to do to lowering the temp ?

Solution
Doesn't sound like anything is particularly wrong then. You can manually adjust the fan curve or reduce the power limit to keep temperatures down. Only other thing I can think of would be to move your AIO radiator to the top and let the rear be an exhaust fan only. Might help a little.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is a fairly large card in a relatively small chassis, but it should have decent airflow with that case.

Is the card overclocked? You could just set a lower power limit to reduce temperatures. You won't lose all that much performance either.

Idle average will be determined by the zero fan mode threshold, you should expect it to sit high when idle.

Make sure all your fans are correctly configured. Typical would be front fans as intake, rear and top as exhaust.

I think pictures are needed here. Just a description and general parts list isn't going to tell us all that much. Also going to need a complete parts list, including CPU and CPU cooler especially.

LTECl

Honorable
May 9, 2017
That is a fairly large card in a relatively small chassis, but it should have decent airflow with that case.

Is the card overclocked? You could just set a lower power limit to reduce temperatures. You won't lose all that much performance either.

Idle average will be determined by the zero fan mode threshold, you should expect it to sit high when idle.

Make sure all your fans are correctly configured. Typical would be front fans as intake, rear and top as exhaust.

I think pictures are needed here. Just a description and general parts list isn't going to tell us all that much. Also going to need a complete parts list, including CPU and CPU cooler especially.

idk how to put a picture here...
yes I use 2 front 120 mm noctua fan static pressure as intake
2 top deepcool static pressure too as exhaust
2 fan 1 noctua fan 120 mm
NFF12IPPC-3000 PWM
and one more is from master liquid 120 mm rear AIO mastercool

the top and front using same controller system fan 1
the rear and pump using same controller plug in to CPU fan

the case layout is the same as the picture default case with HDD bay below

I'm using mother board b350 gaming pro
CPU RYZEN 1600
DDR4 16 GB

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
This brings us back to overclocking. Have you done anything to the GPU?

Do all of the GPU fans spin?

By default it should throttle well before 90C. What are the GPU clock frequencies when gaming? If it is below 1800Mhz or so, then it is truly overheating. If it is still boosting at high levels, then it is just running hot. Might require a disassembly and re-pasting.

LTECl

Honorable
May 9, 2017

By default it should throttle well before 90C. What are the GPU clock frequencies when gaming? If it is below 1800Mhz or so, then it is truly overheating. If it is still boosting at high levels, then it is just running hot. Might require a disassembly and re-pasting.

I don't know how to OC this GPU

and yes it turns out the fan isn't spinning at all when I'm idle

and yes it turns on when gaming

LTECl

Honorable
May 9, 2017

GPU start running to 42 % when It hit 70 celsius and yes it starts climbing when i get GPU clock 1950

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't sound like anything is particularly wrong then. You can manually adjust the fan curve or reduce the power limit to keep temperatures down. Only other thing I can think of would be to move your AIO radiator to the top and let the rear be an exhaust fan only. Might help a little.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would expect the 3080 to be a blow through design, I think all the 30 series FTW models are, which is why I was thinking the CPU radiator might be in the way the most.

I run a pretty restricted setup myself, actually have my rear fan as intake. But my exhaust and front intake are 280mm radiators. Push pull in the front to get more positive pressure.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Only about 1/3 of the card is blow through. The rest comes out the sides of the card, of which the heated air does several things at once:
-absorbed by glass panel and motherboard
-circles back into the cooler through the fans
-gets caught by the pull of the exhaust fans above and taken out
In horizontal orientation, at least.

TRENDING THREADS