[SOLVED] Thermal pad thickness for chipset

Eugene$$

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
HI, i am serving my old gigabyte ep45 775 socket north and south bridges, and i am looking for thermal pads, dont know what thickness i should take, in the south bridge there is a thin pad, while in the north its more thicker..

thanks for your help.

Solution
The thinner the better, but it depends on the actual gap between the chip and the heat sink when it's installed.

If you didn't take the old pads off, you can go off that. Otherwise, order several thicknesses and start from the thinnest, then see what impression it makes on the pad after installing the heat sink. If there's no impression or it doesn't appeared to have squished, the pad is too thin.
The thinner the better, but it depends on the actual gap between the chip and the heat sink when it's installed.

If you didn't take the old pads off, you can go off that. Otherwise, order several thicknesses and start from the thinnest, then see what impression it makes on the pad after installing the heat sink. If there's no impression or it doesn't appeared to have squished, the pad is too thin.

Solution

Eugene$$

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019

0.5, 1.0, 1.5 would be good to buy?