[SOLVED] Thermal pads cause overheating?

johnnydots

Commendable
Jul 6, 2019
Repasted and applied new thermal pads on my dad's graphics card yesterday and he complained that it got even hotter. The repasting probably went well because i made sure to use rubbing alcohol and ensure that there wont be bubbles. Asked around and they said the new pads' thickness could be wrong. Is this true that this can cause overheating?

Solution
There are two things you need to pay attention to when dealing with thermal pads. Their thermal conductivity rating and thickness. Not all pads are the same and some conduct heat better than others. If you don't know which you need, just get the best you can find. The other is thickness. If they aren't thick enough then they won't reach the heatsink and the pad won't work. To thick and the pad compresses which changes how well it conducts heat. You need to find the right height.

johnnydots

Commendable
Jul 6, 2019
Correct. If they are thicker or don't have the ability to move the same thermal energy then it won't cool as well. Different pads have different abilities.
so, do I have to remove the pads or replace them with thinner ones? I'm asking cause the local store doesnt have any available, and if thermal pads are unnecessary then i could really save some time

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
There are two things you need to pay attention to when dealing with thermal pads. Their thermal conductivity rating and thickness. Not all pads are the same and some conduct heat better than others. If you don't know which you need, just get the best you can find. The other is thickness. If they aren't thick enough then they won't reach the heatsink and the pad won't work. To thick and the pad compresses which changes how well it conducts heat. You need to find the right height.

Solution