[SOLVED] Thermal Paste Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
I want to clean the dust in, under the CPU fan and its surroundings underneath. To do that, I'll need to take the cpu fan out. Do I have to re-apply thermal paste?

Solution
D
Always, without thermal paste, the cooler is virtually useless. Clean the underside of the heatsink and the processor itself (don't take it out of the socket) with some isopropyl alcohol, then re-apply a dot of thermal paste on the middle of the processor. Once the cooler is clean, place it back and screw it back in with a X-pattern, constantly changing between screws. Don't screw it in too tight.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Always, without thermal paste, the cooler is virtually useless. Clean the underside of the heatsink and the processor itself (don't take it out of the socket) with some isopropyl alcohol, then re-apply a dot of thermal paste on the middle of the processor. Once the cooler is clean, place it back and screw it back in with a X-pattern, constantly changing between screws. Don't screw it in too tight.

Reactions: wm3797
Solution

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Can I use water and paper towel or tissue? Isopropyl alcohol is very limited now.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I mean to use little weater to clean the cpu and heatsink, then wipe it dry.
Never use water to clean any component. I would recommend getting some Noctua (or any) thermal compound wipes, if you don't have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol handy.

Reactions: wm3797
Status
Not open for further replies.