Thermal paste conductive?

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
So I got my gpu today (Radeon R7 250X) and went ahead and installed my new cooler to it. I managed however to get some thermal paste on the graphics card board itself and was wondering how I can remove it to prevent shorting (I paid 100$ for this gpu and I dont want it destroyed).
I have heard using alcohol works. Any suggestions?
I am using metal oxide based thermal grease. I can provide more info if needed.

Solution
Take a coffee filter and try to get it off. If you're very careful, you can use a razer blade tip to get the majority off, as long as it's on the PCB itself. Try the coffee filter first.

Alcohol is ok, as long as you have 99%+, as you're putting it straight to the board.

BleedingEdgeTek

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Take a coffee filter and try to get it off. If you're very careful, you can use a razer blade tip to get the majority off, as long as it's on the PCB itself. Try the coffee filter first.

Alcohol is ok, as long as you have 99%+, as you're putting it straight to the board.

Solution

Regardless of what they claim, conductive or not, most thermal compounds contain silver or silver oxides and derivatives. When I see the word silver I treat it with caution as far as conductivity is concerned.

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

to remove residue from the parts I used a soft toothbrush underneath a vacuum cleaner. It works just fine now.