Thermal paste does not spread on the CPUs die - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

AndreiC

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Good day,

I have a problem with Thermal Paste Grizzly Kryonaut on a heatspreader.

Firsly, the paste was bought in May, and it does not seem to be expired. I have used it few days ago for the first time on my CPU. The problem is that the paste does not spread on my CPUs heatspreader. The heatspreader is glossy/shiny - not matte (the CPU is old, from 2007 Intel DuoCore).

Why does this happen? Maybe the heatspreader is the problem ? Or the density of paste ?

Because the paste does not spread, I need to use a lot of it despite the rules of application -and thus, inefficiently.

capture screen

It is a video on youtube. Normally (other thermal paste): 1:25-1:40. And my case (thermal grizzly)at: 2:38-2:45 It won't stick on the die ...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vkr_SyLR5Y0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

is there a third picture?

is picture two after you applied the heat sink then removed it?

are you sure the heat sink is going down all the way?

it is normal for the paste to be a little bit thicker when directly on the die(because the heat sink is not suppose to put pressure on the cpu die like cpus with a heat spreader built into them, on these cpus but just be really close to just touching it) but if picture two is after the heat sink was removed then it seems as the heat sink is not going down all the way.

AndreiC

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

Unfortunately, no. This is the best what I did spreading the paste with the spatula included......

OK, I looked at the youtube video. I have never seen anything like that. It looks to me from the video that the paste is too thick or something. Are you sure the tube of thermal paste is not expired? On mine, there is a use - by date on the packaging it came with. The surfaces look nice and clean before you started, so I don't know what to say.

AndreiC

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

Is not expired, ..... It is not my video, but I have exactly the same problem ( at 2:35-2:45 ). The paste is too thick ? What happens? Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is one of the most important (and the best) paste for OC, discovered in 2015....

Bluesh1ft

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
If you do insist on applying it like that and spreading it out (I do too myself because i'd like to see it spread out over the entire thing) Then make sure you mix it a good amount first before applying to get things moving again. Sometimes the liquidiness of it may settle causing that problem (would explain why it is too thick)

Zuez_259

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
had the same problem i solved by using ultra tiny peas with some small amount of spreading for even paste also what the person said also helped i worked the paste before putting it on the ihs.

TRENDING THREADS