[SOLVED] Thermal paste in cpu socket

Jul 4, 2020
So I got a a little thermal paste in 1 of my cpu sockets then looked on how to clean it and did everything it told me like thermal paste cleaner and 90% of whatever alcohol and I put my parts back in and the pc turns on but I get no display. I even tried switching out all the parts and everything. Do I need another motherboard or what do I do???

Solution
There's a video on youtube of Linus putting motherboards in the dishwasher i think. As long as you dry the parts thoroughly there should not be any negative effects. I personally would be hesitant to use steam cleaning.

More realistically, get a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner or if you can't find that, use a can of brake cleaner.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since it is already at a point of non operational.

I would utilize brake cleaner on the mobo and clean up with general purpose spray afterward, ala Tech Yes City. (please wear gloves and eye nose mouth protection)

As to the CPU, probably a visual and some alcohol spray or similar....maybe the general purpose spray.

jwcrellin

Reputable
There's a video on youtube of Linus putting motherboards in the dishwasher i think. As long as you dry the parts thoroughly there should not be any negative effects. I personally would be hesitant to use steam cleaning.

More realistically, get a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner or if you can't find that, use a can of brake cleaner.

Solution

jwcrellin

Reputable
Be careful with brake cleaner. Some will melt the plastic.
Only if you combine it with a lit cigarette. That one youtuber from Australia (techyescity??) who does used pc part builds has used brake cleaner in a pinch. Some kinds are marked non-chlorinated, maybe they're safer. As a mechanic using both kinds, I never had any negative effect on plastic under-trays after oil changes.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
Yes, non-chlorinated brake cleaner is not as bad, but I've had the chlorinated brake cleaner melt some thinner plastic (RC Car Bodies). Now all I use is the non-chlorinated brake cleaner for cleaning RC car tires between runs. I would hope the OP uses an electronic cleaner on his motherboard, not brake cleaner.