Question Thermal Paste in the CPU socket

Brandude

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
So I’m building my first gaming pc and I’m using a ryzen 2700x and I had some trouble installing the cpu fan and I had to take it off multiple times where the cpu stuck to the fan and I got a tiny bit of the thermal paste on a small area of the socket(it’s not a clump, you can just see a tiny bit of dusty white color in a spot or two. I already put my cpu in the socket and successfully installed the fan successfully but I haven’t completely finished my computer yet. Should I be worried about a small spec of thermal paste in there?

The stock thermal paste is not conductive. Clean it as best you can and it should be fine as long as it isn't getting in the pin holes and blocking a connection.

AMD stock thermal paste is awful. I had the same problem with it causing the CPU to stick. Scratched my CPU pretty bad trying to remove the stock cooler on very first try. I recommend everyone to buy different thermal paste (AS5, MX-4, TG Cryonaut, NT-H1) and remove the stock paste on AMD CPUs. The stock cooler also required extreme amounts of pressure to lock the lever down. Just not a good experience.

Brandude

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
The stock thermal paste is not conductive. Clean it as best you can and it should be fine as long as it isn't getting in the pin holes and blocking a connection.

AMD stock thermal paste is awful. I had the same problem with it causing the CPU to stick. Scratched my CPU pretty bad trying to remove the stock cooler on very first try. I recommend everyone to buy different thermal paste (AS5, MX-4, TG Cryonaut, NT-H1) and remove the stock paste on AMD CPUs. The stock cooler also required extreme amounts of pressure to lock the lever down. Just not a good experience.
Thanks for the response. Do you think it is worth it to go back and remove the cooler and everything and try to clean it before trying to start my computer.