[SOLVED] Thermal Paste leaking a bit

Solution
Think about the purpose of paste.
It is to fill in microscopic air pits in the mating surfaces.
Air is a poor conductor of heat; paste is much better.
But... non nearly as good as metal to metal contact.
Too much paste will act as an insulator.

Methods vary, but a rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
It is hard to do too much.
Most paste is non conductive so a bit of overflow is not damaging so long as it does not get into the socket or pins.

If you are a perfectionist, try remounting again.

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
If you mean where the thermal paste has squished out the sides of the CPU as you've tightened the cooler down? that's not a problem, thermal paste isn't very runny so it won't drip or anything like that, and you could wipe the excess off if you're worried

All my cooler installations have looked like that, all be it most of my handwork is hidden in messy server cabinets so I don't worry about looks but I've never had a problem, If it looks like this I usually take it to mean that the paste is nice and even under the cooler - and that's a good thing :)

just run it and if the temperatures are OK, it's doing it's job

Reactions: MrdcThMrlc

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Thermal compound being squeezed out the side is a clear indication that you are applying too much.

'Pea size' is not correct - this is probably 2-3x more than you actually need. A rounded blob of about 3-4mm is what you want for a typical Intel or AMD CPU. Threadripper is a completely different ordeal.

Reactions: 4Ryan6

MrdcThMrlc

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016
Thermal compound being squeezed out the side is a clear indication that you are applying too much.

'Pea size' is not correct - this is probably 2-3x more than you actually need. A rounded blob of about 3-4mm is what you want for a typical Intel or AMD CPU. Threadripper is a completely different ordeal.

I ended up remonting but its still like this. I'm using the less paste but it's the dragging of putting it in place that pushes it a bit to the side. I'm thinking about leaving it like this since I've been mounting and remounting for a couple of hours now. It should still be ok right?

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021

I must be wrong then, you are far more experienced than me, oops :oops: sorry

I was taught my way by a school systems administrator in my first year at high-school, I never thought to question it

Think about the purpose of paste.
It is to fill in microscopic air pits in the mating surfaces.
Air is a poor conductor of heat; paste is much better.
But... non nearly as good as metal to metal contact.
Too much paste will act as an insulator.

Methods vary, but a rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
It is hard to do too much.
Most paste is non conductive so a bit of overflow is not damaging so long as it does not get into the socket or pins.

If you are a perfectionist, try remounting again.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It mainly depends on whether the compound is electrically conductive - all liquid metals are but not all traditional paste will be...most of those are not. Geofelt is correct - too much paste will just result in it being pressed out under correct tension, it can just create a mess when it does, if that's an issue for you. Just make sure your compound isn't electrically conductive and if so, you should be fine.

Reactions: 4Ryan6

TRENDING THREADS