Thermal paste - n00b question

HumbleGod

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I've received most of the parts for my first build, and should be ready to put it all together this weekend. However, I read through the brief pictoral instructions for my Opty 165's installation, and no mention was made of applying thermal compound before affixing the HSF. Thermal compound was mentioned as a requirement in the small print, but I've seen some posts indicating that some thermal compound may already be affixed to the HSF for some processors. I looked under my HSF and saw a grey square outlining where it would be in contact with the CPU.

My questions:

1. Is that grey stuff on the HSF thermal compound?
2. If so, can/should I go ahead and apply my Arctic Silver 5 anyway?
3. If yes to both, should I get some thermal material remover (example) to remove the stock thermal stuff before applying the Arctic Silver 5?

Thanks!

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Its really a matter of opinion. Me personally, I would remove anything from the factory and just use the arctic silver 5 or equivalent. Just very carefully remove whats there and use alcohol (not beer LOL) to remove any excess. My intel came with compound but it was on the stock heat sink which I didn't use. I applied arctic silver 5 and dropped my zalman cooler on it. Works like a champ. Good luck man and congrats on your new build!

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I have always used the thermal tape that is already on the heat sink. Never any problems. Just a matter of preference. If you happen to remove the heatsink for what ever reason; then clean is and apply artic silver.