[SOLVED] Thermal paste, need to reapply?

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I have a Ryzen 7 with preapplied thermal paste. I set it on the CPU and for some reason the one side of the lockdown bracket was stuck and wouldn't reach to hook onto the bracket. I could get it on but it lifted the other side so I had to remove it (which it had a really strong bond), manipulated the latches then reset it on the CPU and was able to get it secured.

I'm thinking it should be okay but I just want to make sure because it's my first time installing a CPU and/or heatsink(cooler). I have some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut that I bought before realizing the Wraith came preapplied with thermal paste, so should I leave it?

Either way i'll keep an eye on temps.

Last edited:
Solution
If it were me, I see no reason NOT to reapply it. You have the thermal paste on hand already, just clean it off and reapply it. This way, you don't (or shouldn't) have to worry about it.

-Wolf sends

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I figured the alcohol part, which is what I used when cleaning and repairing cell phones back in the day.

How about the thermal paste- how much of a 'dot? I then need to spread it evenly over the CPU before installing, correct? How can I tell if it's too little or too much?

I figured the alcohol part, which is what I used when cleaning and repairing cell phones back in the day.

How about the thermal paste- how much of a 'dot? I then need to spread it evenly over the CPU before installing, correct? How can I tell if it's too little or too much?

Everybody has their own technique. Just about any of them will work.
Pea dot in the center
Cross x
Spread with an old credit card.

I always do a quick lift to check the mating on the cold plate. You have to clamp it down then undo it and check. The reason being not all cpu covers are flat and a lot of cold plates are slightly convex. The pressure should help even it out. But its best to be sure.

If you do the pea method as wolf suggest, and you get paste over the edge then you obviously have too much. It should be just a thin layer. The paste is to fill in the gaps and doesnt conduct as well as the metal itself. So too much lowers overall conductivity. Thats why some people like the thin layer spread with the credit card because it allows them to see how thick the layer is before the mate.

If i were doing the amd clamp hook cooler mount and not the socket holes, i would prefer credit card spread. For intel hole type screw downs pea method.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimH77