Question Thermal Paste on CPU(i7-10700)

Undeafen

Reputable
Jun 1, 2019
I have an Intel i7-10700 CPU and am undecided if I should use the pre-applied thermal paste or the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste that I have.

Undeafen

Reputable
Jun 1, 2019
Just go with pre-applied paste (is at least spreaded evenly). Even if you manage to apply Arctic Silver perfectly, you can only expect 1-2°C difference -stock cooler will be loud anyway.
Oh, and I forgot to say that I'm using a Dark Rock Pro 4 fan. Will it make a difference if that was included?

Mar 11, 2021
Just go with pre-applied paste (is at least spreaded evenly). Even if you manage to apply Arctic Silver perfectly, you can only expect 1-2°C difference -stock cooler will be loud anyway.

Pre-applied paste b;ows. Not only is performance suspect in factory paste but it's usually applied poorly/too thick. Thermal paste is meant to bridge the gap caused by tiny/microscopic imperfections found on even well-milled heatsinks....so thermal paste should be applied VERY thin. If heatsinks were perfectly smooth then thermal conductive material wouldn't be necessary. I've used AS-5 for years and years and continue using it due to comfort/familiarity. There are better options at this point and AS-5 does carry a few issues: it is electrically conductive so you can't get it on anything and it does take time to set. However, one thing I like about AS-5 is over-time it spreads itself out which means if you applied too much it will thin itself out and help to mitigate that error.

That said, I think I'll get Arctic MX-4 and replace the AS-5. The MX-4 does perform better...but my CPU/GPU tend to stay fairly cool regardless.

Mar 11, 2021
Pre-applied paste blows. Not only is performance suspect in factory paste but it's usually applied poorly/too thick. Thermal paste is meant to bridge the gap caused by tiny/microscopic imperfections found on even well-milled heatsinks....so thermal paste should be applied VERY thin. If heatsinks were perfectly smooth then thermal conductive material wouldn't be necessary. I've used AS-5 for years and years and continue using it due to comfort/familiarity. There are better options at this point and AS-5 does carry a few issues: it is electrically conductive so you can't get it on anything and it does take time to set. However, one thing I like about AS-5 is over-time it spreads itself out which means if you applied too much it will thin itself out and help to mitigate that error.

That said, I think I'll get Arctic MX-4 and replace the AS-5. The MX-4 does perform better...but my CPU/GPU tend to stay fairly cool regardless.