Question Thermal Paste on CPU pins, Socket,Ram and motherboard.

Nov 25, 2021
Please bare with me it might be little long but I really need your help fellers.

Okay so a little accident happened. While re applying thermal paste to my Ryzen 5 3600 I decided to use more paste than usual because the paste itself was about to end and I didnt want to waste it (Rookie mistake I know) While cleaning the old paste, after I disassambled the heatsink, a chunk of paste flew somewhere I couldn't find it so I was like no worries its not on mother board.

I put the system together and fans were going crazy even though my CPU's tempature was normal. So I thought I'd put too much paste and disassambled the pc again and found out that there were too much paste, tried to clean it as best as I could but it was extended to the point that it was covering the sides of the socket and the CPU so I decided to take CPU out of it socket and boom. There was paste on CPU socket and the pins itself. Again I tried to clean it and put together booted up my computer.

Bios had been reset and it was stuttering like crazy for no appearant reason, I re inserted ram again thinking CPU was acting normal and my PC started act normally (kind of)

I am having no stutters or anything while playing high cpu&Ram games what so ever (RDR2, cyberpunk, etc) or Benchmarking for an hour with Memtest64 and Cinebench15 BUT I am still having MASSIVE stutters while in the desktop doing literally nothing, or watching youtube or writing this topic.

So my questions are; What do you think is wrong? Bad contact between the CPU and MOBO? Did thermal paste got into Ram/Ram socket? Can I spray Iporific Alcohol into the MOBO sockets and CPU pins? How should I clean it? I watched a couple videos on youtube about cleaning these, but all of the videos had intel processors which doesn't have any pins. I live in country where its literally impossible for me to get a pc of this caliber so I am totally lost and in dire need of help

Help me, Tom's Hardware, you are my only hope (Star Wars reference, anyone?)

Reactions: Diflexster12
paste was about to end and you applied it? :D
anyway , it could be bad contact between cpu and mobo, power regulation could be doing weird things when not properly grounded, few missing pins (no contact) will put higher strain on other pins which carry same voltage/ground

anyway, that socket is removable for cleanig (or other) purposes
open that metal lever (move it up, like when you want to insert CPU)
then push it sideways from socket, if you have original cpu cooler mount there, you may want to remove it, or you wont be able to push it away from socket
once metal lever gone, remove socket (easy part)
socket you can clean anyhow you want, its just plastic
on mainboard will remian just metal pads (what intel calls LGA)
clean those if needed

here some youtube poor quality video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcMkxeJoUI

Nov 25, 2021
paste was about to end and you applied it? :D
anyway , it could be bad contact between cpu and mobo, power regulation could be doing weird things when not properly grounded, few missing pins (no contact) will put higher strain on other pins which carry same voltage/ground

anyway, that socket is removable for cleanig (or other) purposes
open that metal lever (move it up, like when you want to insert CPU)
then push it sideways from socket, if you have original cpu cooler mount there, you may want to remove it, or you wont be able to push it away from socket
once metal lever gone, remove socket (easy part)
socket you can clean anyhow you want, its just plastic
on mainboard will remian just metal pads (what intel calls LGA)
clean those if needed

here some youtube poor quality video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcMkxeJoUI

How should clean the metal pads? I don't want to bend them with toothbrush and such. Can I soak it in and try to clean it with a thin paint brush?

Please bare with me it might be little long but I really need your help fellers.

Okay so a little accident happened. While re applying thermal paste to my Ryzen 5 3600 I decided to use more paste than usual because the paste itself was about to end and I didnt want to waste it (Rookie mistake I know) While cleaning the old paste, after I disassambled the heatsink, a chunk of paste flew somewhere I couldn't find it so I was like no worries its not on mother board.

I put the system together and fans were going crazy even though my CPU's tempature was normal. So I thought I'd put too much paste and disassambled the pc again and found out that there were too much paste, tried to clean it as best as I could but it was extended to the point that it was covering the sides of the socket and the CPU so I decided to take CPU out of it socket and boom. There was paste on CPU socket and the pins itself. Again I tried to clean it and put together booted up my computer.

Bios had been reset and it was stuttering like crazy for no appearant reason, I re inserted ram again thinking CPU was acting normal and my PC started act normally (kind of)

I am having no stutters or anything while playing high cpu&Ram games what so ever (RDR2, cyberpunk, etc) or Benchmarking for an hour with Memtest64 and Cinebench15 BUT I am still having MASSIVE stutters while in the desktop doing literally nothing, or watching youtube or writing this topic.

So my questions are; What do you think is wrong? Bad contact between the CPU and MOBO? Did thermal paste got into Ram/Ram socket? Can I spray Iporific Alcohol into the MOBO sockets and CPU pins? How should I clean it? I watched a couple videos on youtube about cleaning these, but all of the videos had intel processors which doesn't have any pins. I live in country where its literally impossible for me to get a pc of this caliber so I am totally lost and in dire need of help

Help me, Tom's Hardware, you are my only hope (Star Wars reference, anyone?)

Whats the brand an model of this thermal paste you over used ?

If the system is working you are really lucky it seems it was a no conductive one.

Nov 25, 2021
Whats the brand an model of this thermal paste you over used ?

If the system is working you are really lucky it seems it was a no conductive one.

Yeah it's a non conductive one, aside from stutters in the desktop and while browsing the web, pc runs fine on games which is the reason I do not understand what is causing the issue? Ram? Cpu? Like I can play red dead redemtpion 2 normally without experiencing anything negative what so ever.