Thermal paste on CPU pins

Sep 5, 2018
I have a very small amount of thermal paste on one to two of my CPU pins. I wiped most of it off And the front of the pin (where it connects to the motherboard) is clear of thermal paste. You can only see the thermal paste if you're really looking for it. Should I clean it more before I put it in? Or is it fine? Will I have issues?

Solution
Well unfortunately thermaltake's documentation sucks, but it looks like it should be non-conductive. So you should me ok if there is a tiny bit of paste left in there. Ideally it would be non-capacitive as well, but I don't know if it is or not.
Well, I cleaned my back of cpu 775 with acetone, touched with dirty fingers, sanded, ehh ,well a bit more cleaning wont hurt?
If its not on tip or closer to tip but closer to cpu it wont cause any issues from my side.
But still if you are unsure about my answer wait for others.

^^^THIS, is what is important. If it is a conductive material, it might be a very big deal. If it's a thermal interface material that is not conductive, you still want to get as much off as you reasonably can, but isn't a deal breaker if you can't get it out of the inaccessible nooks and crannies.

Sep 5, 2018

this is the thermal paste I used.
Thermaltake - TG-7 0.1-Oz. Thermal Grease - Gray

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well unfortunately thermaltake's documentation sucks, but it looks like it should be non-conductive. So you should me ok if there is a tiny bit of paste left in there. Ideally it would be non-capacitive as well, but I don't know if it is or not.

Solution
Sep 5, 2018

yeah I can only see the paste if I am really looking for it. Thanks for the quick responses, my mobo finally gets in tomorrow so I might try to softly clean it a little more but thanks again.

Sep 5, 2018

So kinda a followup, I got my mobo back and put my computer together tonight, I got everything together and powered it on and there is a red cpu led light on and it will not display anything on my monitor when connected. Related? ideas?

Sep 5, 2018

Yes it is and I have already tried to reset the cmos but I can try again. Any other suggestions?

Sep 5, 2018

i suspect the evga psu overloaded it and blew it, when it was having issues, it would not even post. the mobo wouldn't turn on. I have rma'd the psu and the motherboard now and the gpu is brand new.