[SOLVED] Thermal paste or cooler for core2quad.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018
At the moment the cpu is running on 40% load and 60-65 degrees. Im about to buy gpu so i will be loading the core2quad to 100% and im pretty sure it will be overheating. At this moment it has really cheap 2$ thermal paste, and it is running on stock intel cooler. There are pretty good coolers for about 10$ (used). Do i buy a cooler or just better thermal paste?

Btw evry few dolars mean to me thats why im asking and overcomplicating for such cheap things.

Solution

The first part of your answer makes no sense. No GPUs do not have a CPU in them.

Tmax...

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Cheap thermal paste still works ok, and stock cooling is normally good enough but runs a bit hot. Is it the stock cooler for that particular CPU or was it for a different one you upgraded from perhaps? Check that all 4 push pins are fully engaged and the cooler is sitting firmly down on the cpu nice and even. If that doesn't get you anywhere take the cooler off, clean all the paste off the CPU and heatsink and put some fresh paste on and try again.

Failing that any cheap cooler that has a larger amount of heatsink and/or a larger fan than the stock one should be an improvement, some of those core 2 quads are 105W tdp though which is fairly high

Nah, your CPU shouldn't overheat. Best way to tell, download real temp and cinebench and push it to it's limit while monitoring the temps. Most games won't push the CPU that far if you have the graphics up high enough to where most the load is handled by the GPU. In my opinion, you can't really make it any worse by adding a GPU. As long as your CPU stays under 80C I'd say you're fine. (Higher than this is technically fine too, but not really recommended)

magmgarcia

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
I think your cpu will rest a little with the gpu, because the gpu also has cpu, you try to clean your pc(cooler,motheroards,cpu,fans) if the weather is very hot then it affect your pc.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The first part of your answer makes no sense. No GPUs do not have a CPU in them.

Tmax on most C2Qs is 71C not 80, the fact he is running 65 degrees at 40% load is not good, telling him to go to 80+ is REALLY BAD. His CPU is ancient in gaming terms, and some even light recent games will push it all the way. Hes likely not playing anything that really pushes it because he doesn't have a GPU, but depending what he buys and what he tries to play it can very well push it too far. Your generalization is very incorrect, there are plenty of games out there that have no problem fully loading the CPU (ie strategy games, games with a lot of background units, etc) no matter the graphic level.

Based on its age he needs to replace the thermal paste at minimum, a new cooler will help too if only because his stock one is probably just tired. Bearings wear out, dry out, etc.

Solution

My apologies for the mistake I thought the TJ Max was higher