[SOLVED] Thermal paste or Liquid metal?

Kc11

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Hi guys,

Im about overclock Pentium G3258 on an MSI Z97 Pc mate mobo. Its my first time overclocking any cpu.

Im using a Cooler master hyper evo 212 cooler and have Nvidia GTX 960 GPU with 16GB ram.

My question is that should i use thermal paste or liquid metal. Will there be a major difference in temp between the two, since im running an old cpu?

Can i use the thermal paste that came with evo 212 ?

Thanx

Last edited:
Solution
Thermal paste. The bottom of that cooler is subject to ion migration from the liquid metal as the copper is exposed. Also liquid metal is a PIA to work with.

The included thermal paste is fine. The money spent on a fancy paste would be better spent on a superior heatsink.
Thermal paste. The bottom of that cooler is subject to ion migration from the liquid metal as the copper is exposed. Also liquid metal is a PIA to work with.

The included thermal paste is fine. The money spent on a fancy paste would be better spent on a superior heatsink.

Solution

Kc11

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

Thank u.

Can u suggest a superior heat sink?

Something like a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 is a little better.

For something a lot better look at a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B/C or Thermalright Macho Direct. Probably overkill but will likely be useful on your next build. Unless the mount points for heatsinks change and no adapter is made for them. Those mounts don't change very often.

Kc11

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Something like a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 is a little better.

For something a lot better look at a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B/C or Thermalright Macho Direct. Probably overkill but will likely be useful on your next build. Unless the mount points for heatsinks change and no adapter is made for them. Those mounts don't change very often.
Thank u for the suggestions. Im deciding between cythe Mugen 5 Rev B/C and Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 'cause Thermalright Macho Direct is $245.00 on newegg. LOL
https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-08C1-0...ct -_-9SIAM93AUV7104-_-Product&quicklink=true

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador