Thermal paste overload!

gamingguy27

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
I got thermal paste with my mastercool lite 120 and it came with mastergel so when I applied it, I applied too much and got on the sides of my processor and when I took it off to see I saw 3 pins tops have thermal paste on it? What should I do? Should I return it to where I bought it from and exchange it for a new one? Thank you

Solution
Warranty is unlikely to apply for outright user error - MB, nor CPU vendors or retailers are going to warrant you putting too much thermal paste on a CPU.

How did you manage to get thermal paste IN the socket?

Clean it up, the best you can (90+% alcohol) and learn from this mistake.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
most thermal pastes are not conductive. so clean it up a bit and you should be fine. BUT you really should not be using 70% alcohol as it leaves residue use 90%+. I would use a q tip and gently clean it. you only need a pea sized amount in the middle of the CPU (more if you have a Threadripper CPU)

gamingguy27

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
Also as I placed the mastercool lite 120 on the cpu I think some of the thermal paste got off and landed near the socket on the motherboard I cleaned it with a q rip with the 70% alchol and quickly dried it is that ok? And does the thing with the cooler master go into the cpu fan?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Warranty is unlikely to apply for outright user error - MB, nor CPU vendors or retailers are going to warrant you putting too much thermal paste on a CPU.

How did you manage to get thermal paste IN the socket?

Clean it up, the best you can (90+% alcohol) and learn from this mistake.

Solution