Question Thermal paste question...

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
So i have my 5800x 3d just got it.. its HOT, and right now i have three thermal pastes to use.. I have a Tube of AS5 which is what i used, because well im old school and its the first i picked outa my pile of nicknacks... lol.. But i forgot i also have a Tube of MX4, and conductonaught. I used the conductonaught like 7 years ago on a 8700 duel core cpu.. and well i didnt like how it stained everything. But i still have the stuff, i doubt its gone bad as its a liquid. The MX4 and AS5 are 4-5 years old.

Im lazy and dont feel like spending money on another other paste... What would you guys use ? Thinking of taking my 6900xt waterblock off, and checking what paste the prior owner used.. but honestly the card never gets above 50c overclocked.. so maybe it isnt worth the effort.. But the cpu with my duel 360mm radiators overtime gets sees peaks at 82c, but usually swings around the 70-74c mark with the AS5 using an EK waterblock... So maybe the other 2 would be better ? Or is it not worth it ? I usually sell my cpu's after i upgrade so i dunno if itd be wise to ruin the IHS with conductonaught.. but i dunno..

whats your guys opinions ? Once i put a block on i usually never take it off.. hense why i have left overs from years ago

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
So i have my 5800x 3d just got it.. its HOT, and right now i have three thermal pastes to use.. I have a Tube of AS5 which is what i used, because well im old school and its the first i picked outa my pile of nicknacks... lol.. But i forgot i also have a Tube of MX4, and conductonaught. I used the conductonaught like 7 years ago on a 8700 duel core cpu.. and well i didnt like how it stained everything. But i still have the stuff, i doubt its gone bad as its a liquid. The MX4 and AS5 are 4-5 years old.

Im lazy and dont feel like spending money on another other paste... What would you guys use ? Thinking of taking my 6900xt waterblock off, and checking what paste the prior owner used.. but honestly the card never gets above 50c overclocked.. so maybe it isnt worth the effort.. But the cpu with my duel 360mm radiators overtime gets sees peaks at 82c, but usually swings around the 70-74c mark with the AS5 using an EK waterblock... So maybe the other 2 would be better ? Or is it not worth it ? I usually sell my cpu's after i upgrade so i dunno if itd be wise to ruin the IHS with conductonaught.. but i dunno..

whats your guys opinions ? Once i put a block on i usually never take it off.. hense why i have left overs from years ago
AS5 and MX4 are both good but I would go with the AS5 for this one. Conductonaught is LM so if you REALLY valued thermal performance then choose that one, however it is a hassle to set up and you are unable to use aluminum heatsinks. 5800x runs hot to begin with so under load seeing 70-80 is sort of normal.

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
I use watercooling no aluminum. But ya it would be a hassle.. id have to drain my waterblock and tubing remove my video card out of the way, and blah blah... so maybe ill keep the as5 on.. but then, the 5800x does throttle down around 75-80c i noticed.. boost clocks jump around 4450 and then i start seeing 4370's as its getting warmer, but that might just be due to the overall system warming up to thermal equalibrium over hours of gameplay

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
I use watercooling no aluminum. But ya it would be a hassle.. id have to drain my waterblock and tubing remove my video card out of the way, and blah blah... so maybe ill keep the as5 on.. but then, the 5800x does throttle down around 75-80c i noticed.. boost clocks jump around 4450 and then i start seeing 4370's as its getting warmer, but that might just be due to the overall system warming up to thermal equalibrium over hours of gameplay
For something that small like 4450 to 4370 I wouldn't even call it a throttle. If you are noticing something like the CPU being stuck at base clocks of 3800 or lower, then you have a real throttle problem. The 5800x max operating temp is 90 degrees so around that is when it'll throttle. That CPU is a beast, running high temps is normal under load. High temps on idle is an issue though.

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Well i decided to take it apart, and clean the AS5 off, and put on the liquid metal conductonaught. spread it on the ihs and waterblock,.

My idle temps prior were 39c at the lowest in hwmonitor, and doing 10 min of cinebench 26 multicore it got to 78.8c on the CCD and 75.1c package and 74.6 on the cores. Average was around 74-75 for all of them.

After conductonaught. Im reading 36c idle, and 70.9 oackage temps for a 4c drop, a 72.0c for CCD for a nearly 7c drop... thats huge.. and the cores 71.4 for a 3.2c drop. Average is now around 69-71c for all of it.

Thats a really big drop in temperature... lol my cpu is also averaging 4224mhz, and prior it was averaging 4150mhz all cores

Reactions: drivinfast247