thermal paste replacement

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
i have a sapphire hd7770 vapor x, everytime i play left 4 dead 2 or sleeping dogs, i smell something from my tower, like a burn plastic, opened my tower and i dont know if its from my gpu or my processor ( phenom ii x4 95 be), i dont overclock, am planning to replace the thermal paste of my processor, can i also replace ther thermal paste of my gpu??

Solution

Just enough of a dab to allow the pressure and heat from the heat sync to spread it out. Maybe the size of a rounded pencil eraser. The only purpose of TIM is to fill in the microscopic pores of the metal surfaces. Heat won't transfer well though air. It needs to be metal to metal or...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. I use MX-4 for both processors. Same procedure; pea sized dab in the center of the heat spreader and let the pressure of the heat sync spread it.
But check your wiring to see if anything is overheating. Might be burnt insulation you are smelling. Or a capacitor ready to pop. See if any are swelled.
Whet is the make/model of your PSU?

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

thanks for answering, i have FSP raider 750w. ill check the caps and the insulation..

my rig is only 3 mos old, is it possible for the caps to burst that early, i dont overclock, never even tried it..

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

no wirings are touching the sinks, maybe the ones that i hid nehind the mobo?? about the thermal replacement, i noticed that the gpu processor is smaller than the cpu processor, my prob is how much therm compound do i have to put? am using my laptop now cause my mobo (giga 970a ds3p) dont have onboard graphics..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Just enough of a dab to allow the pressure and heat from the heat sync to spread it out. Maybe the size of a rounded pencil eraser. The only purpose of TIM is to fill in the microscopic pores of the metal surfaces. Heat won't transfer well though air. It needs to be metal to metal or thermal conductive TIM.
Did the burned smell finally go away?

Solution

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

the smell came from my acer v233h monitor. haha,is it normal?

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
the fsp raider is cheap? well, thats all i can afford right now. my monitor starts to smell burned if i only play for like 1 to 2 hours, i noticed it when i put my nose straight to its exhaust grills? sorry for the english, cant think of any terms..

any suggestions about psu's? and do i really need 750watts? i really opt to go for the cougar psus, but the owner of the shop said that raider is hood than cougar..