Thermal Paste & Slightly different Core Temperatures

shorzerk

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015
I'll start off by saying that I have a AMD FX-6300 with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 fan on it, on a MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard. Putting that aftermarket fan on was kind of difficult for me considering it was my first time putting a computer together. I have tried putting thermal paste on multiple times and removing it with alcohol and a microfiber cloth trying to get it on straight without it dripping off the sides. This last time I tried I put a very small amount in the shape of a pea and got the cooler to line up properly, with the aftermarket fan even when its locked in place if i push with a little effort the fan budges a few centimeters. A very small amount seems to have been pushed out from the center and got onto the sides, very barely which I cleaned with a q-tip and alcohol. Now when I watch my thermal margins, 1-2 cores are about .2 Degrees hotter. I am wondering If I need to get some more thermal paste(not the one that came with computer.)thats off actual quality. Any Input or suggestions?

fredfinks

Honorable
holy crap the TX3 is the worst assembly of a cooler known to man. did you enjoy screwing all those little screws?
This is why i recommend brands like noctua and avoid brands like coolermaster like the plague.

.2c difference in cores is nothing. as long as the temps are within limits youre fine. breathe a sigh of relief that you dont have to go through that again

gondo

Distinguished
Agreed some heatsinks are a pain to install. Way back Zalman was first to market with flower designs and easy installation, quiet operation, and performance. It's too bad 100 other companies make heatsinks now and take their business away. Scythe, Noctua, Cryorig, The Tuniq Towers, etc.... Lots of god designs out there.

As for paste just use what comes with the heatsink. The difference between Arctic Silver and other stuff is minimal. And applying no paste is better than too much. Heatsinks are so well machined that paste is an aid not a requirement. Basically the paste just oozes around to fill any voids between the contact surface of the CPU heat die and the heatsink.

To apply just put a small drop on the cpu. Take a piece of cardboard or razer blade and spread it out very thin to cover the CPU. Just enough to cover it white. If you need a bit more put a little dab. No more than that. Some people don't even spread and let the heatsink pressure do the work. Once done center the heatsink over the CPU and clamp it down. Remove and look for a nice square of compound under the heatsink to tell you all is good and you had adequate pressure. Reinstall and away you go.

I will basically reapply compound every year or so when I have the computer open for a filter cleaning or upgrade. just scrap the dried up stuff with a razer blade and reapply. Alcohol doesn't do much. Acetone would be much better or the acetone in a spray for cleaning foam insulation guns. I never tried it but I have the acetone spray here I will try next time.

shorzerk

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015

I didn't have to screw any screws, but the latch has to be held on while it's being lowered on to the cpu and the surface area of the cooler is smaller then the cpu and when you lock the thing it moves slightly. It's Aweful, I've done it 4 times now. Never again hopefully.

gondo

Distinguished
Some heatsinks are a pain to reach and grab those latches and pry them in place. Others are very easy with no latches, just 4 screws to tighten the heatsink down onto the CPU. I don't like the new Intel stock design where you have to twist those plastic knobs to lock it in place. I'm glad Intel no longer ships with heatsinks and requires you to buy your own aftermarket.