[SOLVED] Thermal paste squeezed out at the edge of my processor although its a pre-applied thermal paste Ryzen 5 2600 with wraith cooler

Jul 12, 2019
I was setting up my processor on my mobo and it was a little hard for me setting the cooler on top if the processor, it is my first build , i think i over-pressed the cooler on my processor somehow or tightened it hardly and the thermal paste got squeezed a little bit out of one side of the processor , as i just mentioned setting my cooler was a pain in the ass , and installing the motherboard in the case was even more pain trying to figure out where are the nails to screw my mobo , so if there anything i can do without removing my mobo out of the pc case and just by removing the cooler, or should i leave it , i mean its not that big but if the paste gets liquefied by temperature then that will cause problems, thanks in advance

Solution
If you can remove it without removing CPU cooler, sure, you can do that. Though, if you need to remove CPU cooler, it's best that you reapply thermal paste. Else-ways, thermal paste doesn't conduct heat as efficiently as it would after 1st application on CPU.

Also, if all the thermal paste is only on CPU itself, there's no need to remove it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal paste, as such, at high temps doesn't liquefy since it isn't water nor water based. What happens with it is that it instead dries out and hardens.

Also, if the thermal paste isn't conductive, there's no harm leaving it where it spilled. However, if the thermal paste is conductive (some are, e.g liquid metal or silver flakes in it), then you're risking short circuiting your MoBo. In the latter case, you're looking to removing CPU cooler, cleaning all the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol (90% or more pure), reapplying thermal paste and mounting your CPU cooler back.

Jul 12, 2019
cant i just remove the thermal paste ad the edges? + the part that is squeezed out is on the top of the processor it doesnt touch mobo itself or the processor base and it was preapplied on the cooler i dont have any thermal paste currently

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you can remove it without removing CPU cooler, sure, you can do that. Though, if you need to remove CPU cooler, it's best that you reapply thermal paste. Else-ways, thermal paste doesn't conduct heat as efficiently as it would after 1st application on CPU.

Also, if all the thermal paste is only on CPU itself, there's no need to remove it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS