Question Thermal Paste too much?

I've just used the tg-7 available at best buy and have had good results. I've even done some more aggressive things like run 95w processors on 65w heatsinks using this paste, but this is with a cpu fan running at 100% all the time (pwm pin pulled). There's supposedly better pastes, but this does the job imo.

There's very little difference in temperatures between "best" and "worst" brand name pastes, 2-3c at most. There are other specs more important like for instance how it's spread, electrical conductivity, curing time etc.
Based on those criteria, last few years my favorites are Mx-4 and Nt-H1/2 pastes.

Will anything bad happen to the CPU if you apply too much thermal paste?
Unintentionally humorous and much panned for it, The Verge posted a video on YT concerning computer building not too long. The amount of paste he applied to the CPU was absurd; and yet nothing bad happened.

The only really bad thing is the mess it can create. That's why the rule of thumb to use a pea-sized blob in the middle of the heatspreader for Intel and Ryzen (non-Threadripper) CPU's seems to work out pretty well. It minimizes the mess while getting enough to cover it with only tiny amount of squeeze out, if any.

And a hearty seconding for the post to be sure and avoid electrically conductive pastes.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
When I test Threadripper coolers for Tom's Hardware, I use multiple dots of paste over the entirety of the TR4 IHS rather than one blob.

When testing smaller IHS CPUs, the single, centered blob works well (smaller than a pea, larger than a grain of rice...a lentil is about right from what I have found).

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
When I test Threadripper coolers for Tom's Hardware, I use multiple dots of paste over the entirety of the TR4 IHS rather than one blob.

When testing smaller IHS CPUs, the single, centered blob works well (smaller than a pea, larger than a grain of rice...a lentil is about right from what I have found).
That is quite the precision when describing the size. Admirable

TRENDING THREADS