Thermal paste with D15 is not in cener of CPU

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I installed the D15 per instructions to my Intel 1150 i7 on an ASRock Extreme 4 MB. After a few days of using it and for the record it cools amazingly well..I wanted to check the paste spread just to be sure and also because my core #2 is hotter by about 5 deg. Prob normal but I figured I would check to ensure everything is correct and reapply the paste.

I used a 5mm dot in the center per the instructions but when I removed the cooler, there is a void in the center. One tech article said to use the metal threaded standoffs, but the Noctua instrustions show the plastic standoff.

Could the standoffs possibly be different in height by just a very small margin?

After removing the cooler it appears the dab was too much but it shouldn't be void in the center I would assume.

This is what I have:

20160221_183426_zpskr2ncf37.jpeg

20160221_180447_zpsx8ipvabu.jpeg

Solution
As noted previously, the base of the cooler is convex so that it makes the firmest contact in the center, directly over the hottest part of the CPU heat spreader- exactly what you got! Remember, that paste is to fill in microscopic imperfections, not be a mortar like between two bricks. It does look like you used a bit too much. I believe Noctua specifies a 4-5mm dot of paste. I actually used a ruler to draw a 4 mm circle on a piece of paper beforehand and put the paper beside the computer as I was applying the paste.(OK, I'm waiting for torrent of laughter to come raining down on me like hail!) I knew that the tendency was to apply too much. I didn't check afterwards like you did however. I just assume that I did great!

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I meant to add this photo as well...any chance the center was touching and the paste spread out to the sides? I believe the edges of the heat sink are milled slightly so they are ever so slightly larger in gap maybe allowing the paste to build up...I don't know.

20160221_180849-1_zpscdmfszgp.jpeg

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
The plastic standoffs in the kit are 2 different colors, black and white. I just measured them and the white standoffs are 1MM taller however the manual doesn't state which color to use.

I definitely don't want to flatten the base as the engineers of the cooler obviously designed it this way.

As noted previously, the base of the cooler is convex so that it makes the firmest contact in the center, directly over the hottest part of the CPU heat spreader- exactly what you got! Remember, that paste is to fill in microscopic imperfections, not be a mortar like between two bricks. It does look like you used a bit too much. I believe Noctua specifies a 4-5mm dot of paste. I actually used a ruler to draw a 4 mm circle on a piece of paper beforehand and put the paper beside the computer as I was applying the paste.(OK, I'm waiting for torrent of laughter to come raining down on me like hail!) I knew that the tendency was to apply too much. I didn't check afterwards like you did however. I just assume that I did great!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS